Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sign of the times? Euro 67S

sign of the times? Euro 67S

Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Considering the seller had no feedwback rating, the car is located in the rust, the pic's of the car show it outrside standing in snow, and there are no picÄ's of the typical rust areas that make these cars very exopensive resto jobs, $23k shouldn't be much of a surprise. It sure would be a great buy at $23k if the guys description was an hnest one. Maybe it was?

LWB front fenders, Tornado mirrors, some really funky interior work, black fan shroud,...not a quality car. Maybe in the frenzied market of the last few years, we'd see it sell for twice that. Yes, a sign of the times for sure, but quality still sell a car. This one just did not have quality written on it.
    Various Porsche's

No torsion bar covers (cheap rocker panel replacement), Engine has IDA carbs which indicate the engine likely isn't original. Incorrect sport seats. I think the price fetched was fair to high considering.

Not a bad buy!
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I think in all my 45+ years around Porsches, this is the first time I've ever seen what appears to be a Bosch H-1 headlight with a non-fluted US market clear lens! How'd you like to face that coming at you on a 2-lane road on a rainy night? (!)
    Also, unless it's a nice R or ST type clone, I'm always suspicious when I see a car without it's rocker mouldings. In my experience, it usually means that there was some rust in the area and those mounting holes were "lost" or just forgotten. And, one of the underbelly photos shows what might be some floorpan patching.
    As for the price, it's whatever one person is willing to pay. Even though it's missing a lot of original parts and will require a very comprehensive restoration, at least the car has been kept alive. I just hope the new owner has a tight grasp on his wallet when he finds out just how much it can cost to take the car to the next level.
    JMO
    Bill.

I was interested

This car has been on ebay a couple of times. I showed interest in this car during my search and called the seller for more info. The seller made several claims that he couldn't substantiate during our conversations and in fact backed off of some of his original claims. ie. He claimed the low mileage was original, but then recanted. There was also some question whether the motor was matching as well. The repaint was not a windows out proper respray and in fact turned out be an inexpensive franchise paint job. I couldn't get a straight answer on the rust issues. It was painfully obvious he was desperate to sell the car and had money woes.

who cares ???

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    This car has been on ebay a couple of times. I showed interest in this car during my search and called the seller for more info. The seller made several claims that he couldn't substantiate during our conversations and in fact backed off of some of his original claims. ie. He claimed the low mileage was original, but then recanted. There was also some question whether the motor was matching as well. The repaint was not a windows out proper respray and in fact turned out be an inexpensive franchise paint job. I couldn't get a straight answer on the rust issues. It was painfully obvious he was desperate to sell the car and had money woes.
    I've seen those mirrors alot over the years. Motor, seats,tyres, lousy paint, all there. Whoever raised their hand got a great deal, especially if it runs.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    I've seen those mirrors alot over the years. Motor, seats,tyres, lousy paint, all there. Whoever raised their hand got a great deal, especially if it runs.
    Where's the deal when it will cost you 20K to 30K to restore a car like this? A car that may not be right enough to warrant putting all of this money into to begin with. Just because it is an S, doesn't necessarily make it a deal. IMHO

that's my point..

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    Where's the deal when it will cost you 20K to 30K to restore a car like this? A car that may not be right enough to warrant putting all of this money into to begin with. Just because it is an S, doesn't necessarily make it a deal. IMHO
    Restoring this car or any car changes nothing ! It is, what it is. Putting paint, new interior, 4 X 4 1/2 fuchs does absolutely nothing to this vehicle other than changing some cosmetics. It's 41 year old Porsche technology, and doing cosmetics does nothing. Maybe a set of shocks and tyres would be needed, but PO says it runs good, who cares if it's not the matrching #'s motor. It's a 2.0 S motor, period. What am I missing here ? IMHO, this restoration crap is a trendy new suit, nothing more.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L