Thread: Mirror police: was I wrong? Is there a right '74 mirror?

Mirror police: was I wrong? Is there a right '74 mirror?

I've repeated what many people before me have said: that there wasn't a right side '74/75 mirror made, but a friend says he has one.

He's not prone to fantasy, but also not proficient with the Internet, so I'll see for myself in the next couple of days.

Has anyone here ever seen a right hand '74/75 mirror? I sure haven't. Maybe the Brits & Aussies have been hiding them from us.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

EG,
    This is the closest you will get to matching L and R door mirrors for 1974.
    I did a tourist delivery in this very car on 18 March 1974 and it came with the door mirror - RHS - and no LHS mirror.
    Several months later I was at Porsche and I saw a Dutch Police Targa with the matching LHS mirror and promptly asked for one as its an invaluable safety aid when you drive next to the roadside and want to pass the car in front !
    These mirrors were also available in the Japanese market cars - see pic on p120/121 of Brian Long's 911 book - 1971 to 1977.
    The trim around the RHS mirror was a cream colour and the LHS was black - I was thankful to get the mirror at all.
    FYI the UK market cars had the large round Durants in '74 so they are also period correct !

HTH,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

....but a friend says he has one.....

...pictures pls....

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    S Registry member 536

Your friend's could be the aftermarket version, available from our host and elsewhere. They vary in quality; I have two. One is beautiful, just like factory. The other looks third-world.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Okay, if this is aftermarket, it's got a matching aftermarket unit on the left side. Both are OE quality -- that's what's got me fooled. There's a stamping near where the base enters the mirror body that's the same on both mirrors (first image). The left matching mirror is shown for comparison. Opinion?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

As luck would have it, I have my (aftermarket) right side mirror sitting at my desk. It shows the marks you have, exactly. Unfortunately, the car (with the driver's side left mirror) is off receiving minor surgery so is not available for inspection. I'm guessing the aftermarket guys copied the marks for authenticity's sake, but it is possible that you have two aftermarket mirrors. As I said before, the quality can vary from very good to awful.
    You didn't ask but my mirror is sitting on my desk while I have been experimenting with adding a section to it so it can be mounted in the same position as the driver's unit but actually be usable. Here are pics showing the marks and my "addition." I'm still trying to decide if it is too ugly to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.

Just check if they have serial # (inside the base)

Good call OliveR.

No number inside the base. Replicas -- or I almost want to call them "counterfeits," since they are so good.
    techweenie.com

...just an observation from far away - the reproductions that are being currently sold look to be a little larger than the OEM mirrors and they seem to have more pronounced 'creases' in the chrome than the OEMs.
    Does anyone have one of each to measure and compare ??

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    S Registry member 536

I have measured in past, dimensions are the same. But as I've said, quality varies. I have one with creases; the one in my pic above is perfect.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara