Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigla windshield logo etching / sandblasting

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.

Sigla windshield logo etching / sandblasting

Does anyone know who in CA (pref LA) can etch the Sigla logo on windshields? Planning to get one of Dave's (TRE) group buy windshields - need the logo done.
    I know that this has come up before - but no luck searching the forums for it.
    Thanks,
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

just wondering ?

Quote Originally Posted by 911kiwi View Post
    Does anyone know who in CA (pref LA) can etch the Sigla logo on windshields? Planning to get one of Dave's (TRE) group buy windshields - need the logo done.
    I know that this has come up before - but no luck searching the forums for it.
    Thanks,
    Would that not be considered trademark infringing or even counterfeiting ? I'm not being a "buzz-killer" here, just asking out loud. Maybe a few or the litigious folks here might chime in here.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

It may be - IF - you were producing them for resale. For personal use 1) How would anyone know? 2) Why would anyone care?

Windshield Counterfeiting

Some guys use silk screen and paint.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Quote Originally Posted by sezme View Post
    It may be - IF - you were producing them for resale. For personal use 1) How would anyone know? 2) Why would anyone care?
    Slippery slope.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Everything discussed on this forum in regard to restoration that rides "the edge" has been common practice in 356 land for decades. This includes etching glass with logos. History is repeating itself, as expected.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

It's original or it's not.

History is repeating itself, as expected.
    and that is really sad because that is what turned me away from the 356's and moved me into the then ingnored 65/66 - 911s.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post
    and that is really sad because that is what turned me away from the 356's and moved me into the then ingnored 65/66 - 911s.

Richard
    Richard:

You mean like taking a VIN and building a car from it???

Lots of companies have the ability to make glass with permission from the OEM manufacturer, however SIGLA isn't one of them.

http://www.oemglass.net/date_coding_gallery3.html

When I had Corvettes this was a key component of the car. It's build date could be "estimated" (Chevy kept no records) based on castings, date codes (engine and glass).
    There are more 427/435 Corvettes now than in 1969.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Sad? When someone creates a restored car - it sets a snapshot as to what these cars were supposed to look like when they were originally designed and built. Restoration to a highly accurate standard is needed to preserve the history of the marque.

Yes - I'm jaded. I am one of those 356 guys that both preserve and restore cars back to the exact standard as when they were born. World-class restoration is a form of forgery. When correct parts aren't available - I make them or have them made.

Be glad some people are taking this to "the next level". It is one of the reasons you will still an exact reproduction - down to the smallest detail - of what Ferry and Butzi designed 40-45 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post

Richard

Be glad some people are taking this to "the next level". It is one of the reasons you will still an exact reproduction - down to the smallest detail - of what Ferry and Butzi designed 40-45 years ago.
    Stuart Zeh you don't have to take it personal, to each it's own and you have a very nice '50 cabrio, but for me it's disrespectful to the trully original cars. Your note "When someone creates a restored car" hits for me the nail on it's head, a restored car is created ..

BTW I have less problems w/ adding a logo to a repro or refurbished part but it has gotten that far that people restamp, date stamps but also VIN's and more common engine numbers. To me that is sad, esp. when they 'forget' to tell so when they sell their car ..

Just my $.02.

Richard