Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper Trim for a mid year '72T

Proper Trim for a mid year '72T

Hopefully a simple question.

If a '72T was invoiced in April '72/delivered June '72 what would be the proper horn grills, F&R light assemblies and deck lettering. (Comfort package 470)

I know there were changes in ’73 to black trim but what were the proper bits for a mid-year ’72, chrome or black?

R/
    Sumner
    Registry Member #970

1970 914-6
    Adriatic Blue

1972 911T (vice)
    Gemini Metallic

1967 911S (vice)
    Slate Grey

Quote Originally Posted by gtgroupe3 View Post
    Hopefully a simple question.

If a '72T was invoiced in April '72/delivered June '72 what would be the proper horn grills, F&R light assemblies and deck lettering. (Comfort package 470)

I know there were changes in ’73 to black trim but what were the proper bits for a mid-year ’72, chrome or black?

R/
    Chrome-Grills, Light Trim

Black-Decklid lettering (std.) Optional (Gold/Chrome).
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Was the Gold lettering part of the Comfort package or another order?

So Chrome trim all the way around on the lights, and gold lettering for the PORSCHE and 911T?
    (as part of the 470 Comfort package)

or Chrome all the way around and Black deck trim?
    Sumner
    Registry Member #970

1970 914-6
    Adriatic Blue

1972 911T (vice)
    Gemini Metallic

1967 911S (vice)
    Slate Grey

I am not 100% on the comfort package. If that is the same as the "S" apperance package. I thought that was the thick trim, better guages, leather wheel, alum sill plates. As far as the deck emblems go, I am assuming that you don't have any at the monent?

Depending how the car was orig. sold, it could have had black emblems from the factory and gold were replaced by the dealer before or for the sale of the car.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Sumner
    I beleive all 72 MY came factory stock w black anodized letters.

The 1971 folder does list "Gold Porsche nameplate and model number" as a replacement "for standard chrome-plated counterparts" available for 911T.
    The 1972 folder does not list this option anymore.

Maybe possible that a dealer would add gold lettering script if a client still wished for in late 72.
    check also:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=1972+script
    Registry member No.773

Thanks for the link,

Karim,

If you have a copy of the folder, that you can post or email of showing change, which does not list (Gold letter) this option anymore, it would be most helpful.

The post on 911T is a bit circular and digresses into late ’71 never concluding with a real answer. There is a discussion about Chrome lettering, but it to peters out as well. The pictures posted cars are not 911T comfort #470/S optioned cars, so they really do not answer it as well.

I have the May ’72 Motor Trend which road test all the ’72 models T, E, S, & 914, but no pictures of the rear.

R/
    Sumner
    Registry Member #970

1970 914-6
    Adriatic Blue

1972 911T (vice)
    Gemini Metallic

1967 911S (vice)
    Slate Grey

R/
    I agree above listed thread source about same topic does not really answer the question. But reading the last owner's statements makes it clear.

As you shurely know there was a real difference in trim between 70/71MY and 72/73 MY cars. Not only changed engine capacitiy but the interior was completely redone (seats, dashboard&door trim, deleted 911 designation on glove box, front spoiler on S/optional on T, E, exterior oil filler lid on all 72 models, black engine grill etc.) as well as the rear engine grill now featured a 2.4 sign and black anodized aluminum P O R S C H E lettering and model type designation.

FYI, you might buy the following literature showing above infos:
    - Brett Johnson, A restorer guide to authenticity (states black anodized plates only)
    - Peter Morgan, Original Porsche 911 (standard literature for all 65-73 MY)
    - Brian Long, Porsche 911-the definitive history, 1971-1977-part two. (colored period photos only !)

I will try to scan accesories folder but above literature as well as other sources states all 72 MY cars came factory equipped w black anodized plates.

Brian Long states on page 34:
    "All cars reverted to a steel engine cover in order to reduce production cost (certain grades had used aluminum in the past to reduce weight); the grill on the lid was now black anodized aluminium, with the engine size (in silver numerals) appearing in the top right-hand corner. The Porsche lettering and model type badge on the tail were finished in black to match the grill; the targa script on roll-over bar was also finished in black."

Here a factory shot of a 72 MY 911T.
    Note round Durant mirror which was still legal in some ROW markets.

Factory shot of a 72 MY 911E Targa.

Factory shot of a 72 MY 911S.
    Note early production models with Durant mirrors and glove box plate (deleted in 72MY) still visible in interior.
    Registry member No.773

My 72 T has the identical black grill and lettering as pictured in the above examples. It sure seems to me that that the car would look a whole lot more striking if the tailite trim was black like the 73s. It was my understanding that a T with the S package came with the gold letters and the black grill.

Thank you,

The only reference you list I do not have is:

Brian Long, Porsche 911-the definitive history, 1971-1977-part two, (colored period photos only !) I have the 65-71.

While the books you reference are helpful, there are always exceptions that become period myths,that have also made it into print. I always check the sources from multiple sources. A work habit that bleeds over into my off daily pursuits.

I do agree the period pictures are the best reference.

I pulled a '72 sales brochure (10\71) and the May '72 Motor Trend which tests the 911 T, E, S & 914 side by side. It shows the chrome light trim, the sales manual shows black lettering on the T, E & S, but with no Flag mirror (old durant), like the green 72 MY 911T pictured.

The factory shot of a 72 MY 911T. Is a 911T w/o comfort package (narrow trim).

While it is possible that Porsche may have moved to the black light trim later on the '72 a April-May build may be a bit too early. The car I am researching was delivered JUN 72 and invoiced APR 72.

If the '72 comfort package (M470), also know as S package, didn't come with the gold lettering noted in the '69-71 M470 it would be a important detail.

Thanks again.

R/
    Sumner
    Registry Member #970

1970 914-6
    Adriatic Blue

1972 911T (vice)
    Gemini Metallic

1967 911S (vice)
    Slate Grey

R/
    l only contribute to the black anodized letterring infos.

In 1969, option 9076 was called Comfort group. Comfort group are standard on 911E and 911S.
    In 1970/71, option 470 was called Appearances group. It was similiar like 1969. Items now could be ordered individually.
    In 1972, above option was called S-package, optional now for T as well as E (which was'nt the case in 71MY)

Christophorus factory info, No.95/Oct 71 for 72 MY changes. page 9:

Another factory shot of a 72T without front spoiler.
    Most likely above illustrated early production model from approx. june 71.
    Note S-package trim, rubber overriders and s-rubber bumpers but black anodized types on grill.
    source: F.Allain, Porsche 911, page 67.

Christophorus factory info, No.95/Oct 71 for 72 MY changes. page 9:
    Note "standardized" and not standard.

As for black anodized letterering on a T (Targa as well) all my sources point the optional gold types have been gone for 72MY.
    Maybe it was a dealer option if a client still wished and someone else can find the 72 gold option written in a folder - I cant.
    BTW:
    Black light trim might was introduced in mid 72 even it was for 73MY.

Hope this helps.
    Registry member No.773