Thread: need advice - clutch cable replacement

need advice - clutch cable replacement

Hi all...

I've searched both this board and Pelican and cannot find any info / advice on the clutch cable replacement job on an early car.

My 67 911 normal has a very high engagement on the clutch pedal, and the rpms can spin up (clutch slipping?) on acceleration.

Before dropping the engine for a full on clutch replacement, I am hoping that doing the clutch cable and/or adjusting the cable first may solve the problem [fingers crossed].

But there does not seem to be very much info on early car projects, LOTS on the newer cars, nill on the older ones.

Anyone done this recently? any advice for this nut behind the wrench before I screw something up?

It appears that there is some room on the trans end of the cable to let the screws out - this should lower the engagement on the pedal - yes? and maybe help with the slippage? dunno, hoping, hoping, hoping

In any event, I'll document this project for future generations.

wish me luck, and pls point me in the right direction!

tom

If your clutch is slipping under high RPM's adjustment isin't going to help. You need a new clutch. The adjustment is to limit pedal play (when the clutch engages). Slippage is from a worn out clutch. Since your going to have to replace the clutch put a 69 clutch and pressure plate in. It will last longer and perform better and is transparent to anyone unless they tear the engine down.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Thanks willywilly - so what do I buy? I know sachs makes a clutch kit, but will the clutch kit for the 69 have all the right bits for my 67 application? or are there additional goodies that I'll need to have to make this install work? a shopping list would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

tom

Call Will @ Classic and Speed Parts. He'll advise and fix you up with the right parts. (626) 445.0108

Just the clutch itself and the pressure plate or housing froma 69 are needed. All other parts, some that may need replacement, are the same for both years.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787