Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you restore the silver taillight lens trim?

How do you restore the silver taillight lens trim?

I have several sets of turn signal and taillights lenses. All need the silver trim restored. Has anyone done this as a DIY project? How?
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

It's the "chrome silver" that they used on cars and imitation chrome pieces and is a special process. Here is one outfit that I ran across for a project (MC related) a few years ago. Maybe they can help.

http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

tom,
    thanks for the contact info. Looks like a good resource. I'm going to get a quote from them.
    regards,
    al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory

66 912 ...off to France
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

I had the same problem with the egg crate panels for the hideaway headlights on my 70 Torino SCJ. We ended up using chrome pin stripping tape and nobody new the difference. Not sure whether this would work for the tailites, but just a thought...

The problem with the vacuum process is it eventually rubs off. And the process is really for interior parts, not exterior parts. This is due to the chrome not lasting on exterior parts as it is more exposed to the elements.

Think it work for headlight reflector resilvering?!

Stu

I really like the idea of the chrome tape. I've tried a few paints without success, and the newest repro's of these lenses has the chrome as very dull.

Note that the rubber seal also sticks to these lenses and pulls the paint away when the lens is removed, so consider some type of gel to put on there to avoid in the future.

As far as lens resilvering, I would think the coating would be too fragile. I know there is a new powdercoating that Curt Autenreith has seen that looks almost as good as chrome. He goes by CurtAA (I think), and is located in the Pasadena area which would be good for your project over at TRE.

There is also a reflector resilverer (sp?) that is in the Portland area. I haven't used him though.

cheers,
    e

PM Jeff Higgins - he did it our of a spray can and it worked amazingly well. He can give you the details AND he lives in the Snohomish area. Not that far from you!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

thanks for the ideas....a few new avenues to follow. In my deluded quest for NOS or close or at least really fine ones, I recently received, from Germany, some supposedly 71 era Bosch rear taillight lenses in "very good shape". Totally mis-represented, but, they are in ok shape for..........non-Bosch repops, I.E....they look like crap compared to the real deal. If I can do a decent resto job on my originals, I'll be a happy camper.

Al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory

66 912 ...off to France
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

thanks for the ideas....a few new avenues to follow. In my deluded quest for NOS or at least really fine ones, I recently received, from Germany, some supposedly 71 era Bosch rear taillight lenses in "very good shape". Totally mis-represented as Bosch units, but, they are in semi-ok shape for..........non-Bosch repops, I.E....they look like crap compared to the real deal. If I can do a decent resto job on my originals, I'll be a happy camper.

Al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory

66 912 ...off to France
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Possible alternative

There is a paint made by Alsa that finishes parts in -- I think -- silver nitrate. It looks like chrome. I've seen it at SEMA for a couple of years, and it's impressive.

Thing is, I know what it looks like on the upper surface, and you want to paint the trim from behind...

It's pricey paint, so hopefully, someone has already tried this.

http://www.alsacorp.com/
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute