Thread: feeler only - Cryogenic and REM Gear sets

New owner, The Race Line

feeler only - Cryogenic and REM Gear sets

Hey there everyone,

I was curious to get everyone's opinion and first reaction to us offering Cryogenically stress relieved, and REM (micropolished) gear sets for 901 and 915 gearbox applications.

I am figuring cost to be about like this on new gear sets:

$695 for the gear set and an additional $100 for Cryo/REM.

I realize that in a tough economy this extra $100 might make a difference, but you need to consider that the Cyro/Rem will increase gear life 2-3 times and lower gearbox temps by quite a bit, thereby extending the life of the entire gearbox substancially as well.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
    Carquip Sales
    (303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
    (720) 908-9407 cell

Just curious where the data comes from for these expected outcomes.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

New owner, The Race Line
    Thanks for the post. I can certainly appreciate the question. I have a couple of sources for confirmation of this process actually.

Cryogenic and REM processes have long been used in Formula one engineering to further the life of their internals. I has since trickled down to just about every form of racing including NASCAR.

NASCAR car builders have really taken this very serious and have been using both of these processes not only on the gearbox end, but also the engine building as well. Stats that were provided to me by the REM rep, showed that they saw a 300% reduction of engine failure due to friction after utilizing the REM process on their engine internals. That is a big difference.

I know for sure that the data is out on the internet, but I have to say the real proof to me is in our own results. I have been fortunate enough, that we have provided this service to several of our clients over the last several years. In some cased customers have reported reduction of gearbox temps by up to 60 degrees. This is a big difference when you consider that heat is a primary contributor to gearbox failure.

For those who are not familiar with REM here is the short scoop on what actually takes place.

It is a two step process, the first being a chemical cut agent that is distributed through a vibratory medium, similar if you will to polishing Bullet Brass for reloading. When you look at a metal surface under the microscope you find no matter how smooth it looks to the human eye and touch, there are peaks and valleys in the metal surface. The cut cycle basically removes the peaks and leaves the valleys intact.

The Second step of the process is a micropolish chemical, again distributed through a vibratory medium. This process super polishes the metal surface to the point of appearing nickle finished. The important difference in this process is that it is permanant, it is not a coating of any kind that can wear off or more importantly Chip off.

Here is a picture of the finished product for you all. I am happy to answer any and all questions I hope that this information has been helpful.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
    Carquip Sales
    (303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
    (720) 980-9407 cell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Restoration newbie.
    So there is some science to this, we laughed when we
    read about cranks who developed cryogenic processes
    to increase the service life of brake rotors. Guess we
    were wrong. http://www.cryogenicsinternational.com/

andy