The latest on the Tahoe 911S restoration front.
It looks like the mechanichal fuel pump is going to have to be rebuilt. I am also going to have to replace the first gear synchro mesh as well.
In the last 10 times the car has been driven on the road, the car has been blowing blue smoke, and leaking oil steadily. Currently it is on a lift with a white 59 Volvo underneath it, and it's marking it's territory all over the roof, ha ha. May as well pull the engine for a refurbishment with the other issues happening.
It needs new gaskets, most likely piston rings with the smoke, and maybe new bearings, we'll find out when the case is cracked. Putting in new oil lines as a matter of course.Other than blowing oil smoke and leaking like a sieve, it runs solid. It had the 930 style chain and tensioner put on it in 96 I think, so that is in good shape. Mechanic says it's sound, so I'm saving a grand there.
Does anyone know a good engine refurbishment business on the west coast these days? Someone who knows that inner working stuff like mating the magnesium crank case to the aluminum components. A knowledgeable and fair guy who will replace what car needs and not looking to do an automatic $10k rebuild? Sounds like this Tony the Greek is out of commission, and I don't want to stomp on someone else's thread. I'm sure it's a tall order, but I can hope Thanks for the leads, guys. You have been a wealth of information over the last year.
My mechanic will pull the engine, and do the fuel pump and synchro mesh, but doesn't want to do the rebuild. He hasn't done one in 15 years, and forgot the intricacies of it. I appreciate his honesty.