Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Seats for Me- Need Advice

Scope Creep Poster Child

New Seats for Me- Need Advice

It looks like I will be able to get a new pair of seats, and have a few questions before I make final decisions. Car in question can be seen here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=reintroducing

Those Scheel 502Ss are not cutting it in terms of lateral support. I think I know what I want, but hope that some of you can help with the final decision. I have sat in a Vintage Seats RS, and found it VERY much to my liking. In addition, I'm considering the wide version for the passenger side, as I will have a passenger that is......uh......somewhat wider than myself.

However, I'm considering two other options: Scheel 300 replicas as made by NML Depot in Germany, and seats by TRE made closer to home. I know board members have had good luck with all three manufacturers. My car is not a daily driver, but does get used for errands. Spirited drives, DEs, autocrosses, and perhaps some hillclimbs are in its future.

I find that my passengers look frantically for something to hang on to. This is tough, as my RS doorpanels offer nothing of the sort- one passenger grabbed for the door opening strap! I hope that the new seats will reduce or eliminate this kind of response.

I'd welcome experiences with all of the above choices.

Thanks! Anyone need a pair of Scheel 502Ss?

-Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Scott:

Best advice I can give is to be careful about comments like that regarding the passenger's... uh... backside. They often times can prove to be hazardous to the health of your car.

Mike

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Duly noted, Mike. This is a tough issue!
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Hi Scott,

I recently yanked the repop sport seats in my coupe in favor of Vintage Seasts RS in black leather. I went with their new "wider" version, and absolutely love them! They're really comfortable, and the workmanship is top notch!
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    One thing :

If you plan on tracking it at all you will need to get the seats that accept 5, or now I believe 6 point belts.
    At least that is what the PCA requires.

I have the R seats and they are great.
    Look great, super light and very comfortable on long trips.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Scope Creep Poster Child
    John-
    Does the 5 or 6 point requirement apply to DEs?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Yes.
    I asked again last week.

If you have ORIGINAL seats you may use stock (3 point) belts.
    If you have any type of race seat , and I was told that includes any of the Vintage/ExoticCar type seats , they need to be used with racing belts.

I guess they figure that the sliding around you do in the stock seats keeps the speed down (?)

Check with your region, but that is a natl. policy I believe.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Frank-
    Thanks for your perspective. I was considering replica sport seats as a way around the difficulties John mentions, but it sounds like you might advise against that?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

They would be ok with those seats with the slots and both Vintage and ExocticCar Seats make those.
    But you also would need the adapter to keep the shoulder straps at the proper seperation and angle.
    You could buy a couple race seats and swap for DE's

Too bad it is so complicated .
    I really love the R type seats I have.

Again - check with the safety chair (appropriately enough ) in your region or with the club you run with.
    They can give you the details.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

seats and rules

Hi All,
    PCA and SCCA are getting more and more stricter with the classic seats.
    For the PCA reasoning about" ...providing the routing for all harness belts by the manufacturer " ( not exact wording...) did we come up with the Trips device to take on the shoulder harness belts in addition to the offered waist belt and lap belt provisions.In nearly all our (2 excluded ) frames are the attachment points incorporated and with 4 x M8 screws so far to the liking of inspectors.With the option to lower and raise the trips device according to find the best angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    regards Stefan GTSclassics
    702 353 7175
    ClassicCarSeats.com