Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS Steering Wheel Spacer

RS Steering Wheel Spacer

I've been away from the forum for a time. Has anyone produced a spacer so the 380mm RS/914 steering wheel will not be so close to the dashboard? I know it was talked about in 2007 and I wondered if such an item is now in production. Thank you.

Yes it has been. It has been produced by Zuffenhaus Products. It is available with our 380 RS wheel or we can fit it to your wheel. It is 30mm and we have had the correct metric rivets made to attach to the wheel.

www.zuffenhaus.us

Thanks boba,
    What a dark confusing website, I could not find the 30mm spacer listed but I sent them an e mail.

Indeed a dark and confusing site. More confusion: I emailed them about the spacer last week and got a nice reply saying they were working on it and hope to have them ready soon.

I also emailed Cornpanzer from this site as he had fabricated the prototype but never heard from him.

If anyone has a spacer I would be very interested in buying it-I have a 73 with the 914-6 380mm wheel and with the a/c bar below- to get close enough to the wheel at the track results in purple knees for a week afterwards.

Does anyone know how difficult/easy is the mating of the spacer and steering wheel and reinstalling both together?

Well mrbeverlyhills there are at least two of us looking for these babies, I think its about drilling out the existing rivets and adding the "spacer" and attaching it with rivets or machine screws and extending the horn contact pin.

Great forum, you can buy a long horn contact pin from mittelmotor in Germany part # 1,44007B

I am completely useless when it comes to things like this, my job in any resoration or addition to the car is to find the item and take it to someone (TLG AUTO) that does know so that it can be put on the car correctly the first time.

Having said that I would love to buy one and get the wheel away from the dash. I shuffle steer but even so it is right up to the dash. This last weekend we were at SOW with the POC and my instructor wanted me so close to the steering wheel I was miserable until I told him I was just going to have to sit in the car my way.

The Zuffenhaus people seem to think they are pretty close and they do have an excellent reputation for getting things right but does anyone have a line on one NOW?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeverlyhills View Post

The Zuffenhaus people seem to think they are pretty close and they do have an excellent reputation for getting things right but does anyone have a line on one NOW?
    Thanks for the comment.

The 30mm spacer and correct length metric revits are in our hands now, as of first of last week. They have not been added to the web site yet, all things take time. Price is $100, and we will install on your wheel.

We did these for our reproduction 380 RS wheel but it can be fit to your wheel as well.

I do not have a photo of the spacer on my computer and have sent an e-mail to see if we can get one posted soon.

Zuffenhaus Products' 380 RS Steering Wheel Extension progress

Dark and Confusing? Hmm...

Confusing may have to do with the fact that we really don't have our webstore set up - I'm learning all kinds of interesting things about Secure Socket Layer, synching with Point of Sale software, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

(in fact, if any of you guys have experience with this, I'd love to pick your brains, as mine are close to mush after 2 weeks of this stuff, lol.)

In any event, we should probably have a lively discussion about the useability of the site once the catalogue is installed - I certainly don't want it to be difficult to find products and purchase them!!!

As to the business at hand:

Our RS Steering Wheel Extensions are damned-near completed, as you can see:

- that's 100 RS extensions sitting there, awaiting final surfacing and packaging. In addition, besides very special metric rivets that we had to travel to Europe to source, the spacers will include the following components:

(they fit together like so

Here are top and bottom shots with a steering wheel core to give you an idea of how this all works together:

And, just because I'm proud of it, here is a gratuitous shot of our 911ST wheel, 911R Horn Button, and 80mm Early 911 Steering Hub:

After the final surfacing, we will begin offering spacer installation as a service - you send your wheel, we dissassemble, assemble, rivet, and return it to you. This will be done by the craftsman that currently assembles our 380RS wheels.

In mid-February, when our next shipment arrives, we will offer the RS Steering Wheel Spacer as a $100 option on our 380RS Steering Wheel at time of sale.

At that time, we will have the 911R Horn Buttons, the 911ST Steering Wheel, and both the 60 and 80mm Early 911 Steering Hubs in stock and available for purchase.

As of right now, we have replinished our supply of 911R Steering Wheels, and are working on a more appropriate steering hub for the '74-89 guys (to get rid of the accordion nonsense) to use with both our wheels and the competition's.

So, it is always enlightening to hear the public's perspective onour progress - it seems incredibly busy from my desk, but I appreciate the reality check you guys give us from time to time.

Keep the feedback coming, and I'll keep working on the website, the emials, the phone calls, the product development, the manufacting schedules, the shipping arrangements, the packaging, and the quality control, lol...
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Great stuff, I will gladly pay $100.00 for the spacer, rivets, and the longer horn contact pin but if its OK with you I would rather install them myself. Please let me know and we can get this transaction rolling.