Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need gas tank for 71T

Need gas tank for 71T

What do you fellas like for a gas tank for a 71T? Is repro a good choice and who do you recommend to buy from? What's a fair price for quality? Mine's leaking somewhere and at it's age I'm thinking straight up replacement with a new fuel pump, fuel lines and sender. Any advice appreciated.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Paul,

read your post with interest. Just yesterday I picked up a late model Carrera tank from one the Bay Area dismantlers for $ 300.00. As you can see from the photos it's in very good condition. It will fit in your '71 perfectly while giving you significantly more driving range (20 + gallons, I've made it from the house to L.A. without refueling, approx 375 to 400 miles depending on the route I chose).

The only downside I can see is the expense of aquiring a space-saver wheel /tire assembly. A steel wheel space saver (heavy) goes for $ 50.00 from the same place. Forged aluminum 944 Turbo space saver spares (as shown in the photo bvelow of my car) which are a LOT lighter can be had for $225.00 to $275.00, .....when available.

I got this for a friend who is having a local shop create a through-the-hood filler arrangement on his 911. The larger flat area on top of the tank, made possible by the smaller spare tire diameter, makes it a lot easier to locate the vertical 4" diameter fill pipe and weld it to the tank in the proper place.

I 've been told by others that repro tanks do not fit as well as OEM and that the welding and general craftsmanship are simlpy not up to early 911standards. I went through this when I built my car a couple of years ago and chose the route of a used OEM tank....glad I did.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Thanks for the heads up John...and great to hear from ya. Guess it's time to start surfing ebay again.
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

I have the same tank John has in my 71T. I used a Fuchs 15 and a space-saver. Very happy with that decision. I think I got it out of Pano a few years back for $50.00 plus shipping... under $100.00.

I think the only issue I had was the charcoal filter element. If I recall, it had to be moved slightly.

The later tank will give you a longer range which is good with the engine I have.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Does anyone know if there's any issues using a 72T tank? I have one of those along with the spacesaver from my parts car but was suspicious it might be a bugger to fit.
    sidenote: My car is just a driver so period, concours correct is not an issue whatsoever.
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Bought a repro 2nd hand and it works fine.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schooley View Post
    Does anyone know if there's any issues using a 72T tank? I have one of those along with the spacesaver from my parts car but was suspicious it might be a bugger to fit.
    sidenote: My car is just a driver so period, concours correct is not an issue whatsoever.
    I have a late model tank in my 72T with a Fuchs and space saver. The only mod required was the relocation of the charcoal cannister which was easy.

Agree. It would probably be easier as you wouldn't have to find the different tank attachments. Go with the 72.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Here's a pic of my 72T with the late fuel tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ok, I yanked out my 72T tank today. It was kinda bubbly looking (from parts car that sat in an open field for 10 years ) so I took a scraper to it thinking I was going to poke thru the tank wall, especially around the seams...and from what I see it looks ok. What's the reccomended procedure to prepare this tank? Send it to the local dood that does them I suppose? I'd prefer to scrape all that Wurth-type stuff off it at home and wire brush it clean before sending it out or does hot tanking remove all the crud anyways? Never dealt with this before. On my old Harleys I would just clean it and roll that tank sealant inside.
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330