Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed, what engine is this?

Help needed, what engine is this?

Some weeks ago I took out this tuned (revs easy to 7500 rpm) 2 liter from my 70S. I have found a correct 2.2S engine that I am in the middle of installing.

Now, this 2 liter is a fun engine and I want to use it in a SWB 911 FIA rally car that I am projecting/collecting parts for.

I took alot of pix today and maybe some can be of help to identify. Extra information, no type number or serial number. Never grinded off either. Stamped (june?)/67 to the left of the pulley.

The intermediate shaft cover is listed at Frisinger as a "Historic racing part"
    http://www.freisinger-motorsport.de/...og=5&inquiry=1

Any info and help to identify the engine is very welcome.

--

11th picture, engine underside.. (max 10 pr post)
    --

Help needed, what engine is this?

Looks to me like the 67 case you mentioned with later chain boxes and SC chain housing covers (they have the threaded holes for installing the thermal switches), with a normal intermediate shaft end cover and turbo lower valve covers. By the way, the idle mixture adjustment screws and the idle air by-pass screws are reversed in their locations.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Well lets take a lookie

67 Case, you know that from the casting number.

I/S cover looks like the one from a later car, the original is much larger cast iron

cast iron distributor, what color is the nomenclature plate?

later fan housing and fan with the coil studs on the housing. SWB is larger by 5mm and does not have coil studs

later factory weber or Zenith manifolds with the black epoxy coating

later chainboxes with carrera tensioners. Also someone has modified the tensioner/cam oil feed line into the case with a later fitting.

turbo valve covers. you will find that the cam towers are off a later car too, because the lowers have 11 studs instead of 6-- only way to do that is to change the cam towers.

Bosch CDI engine wire harness, good, also later car

where the hell are the case numbers? Must be a factory replacement case.

Tear it down! Can't WAIT to see what is inside

Can you post pics of the following:

underside of cylinders- cast iron v. nikasil v. biral and 80 vs 84 (I can tell the difference from a picture, 80 v. 84)

underside of cylinder heads. this is hard to shoot around the heat exchangers, but we are looking for a number in an oval on the bottom cooling fin of the head-- this will tell what head castings you have

nomenclature plate on distributor
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks for all info, got some new pix of heads and case, case halves match and was stamped 971. .. 1973 heads ?

--

Those are probably 74 heads judging by the late 73 date stamp- can you get a picture of the other side, the bottom? That is where the casting number is.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Iron biral cylinders from 68/70 T-engine. Those are not the best cylinders. A bit of a surprice that they used those when building this engine. Very little oil and dirt around heads and case.

Its a alu case, but a 71 date? Not sure its 71, because the alu ended in early 68. Was there any replacement cases or cases for racing 911 made in alu 70/71? Could the 71 stamp be something else than a date code?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

John, the 9 before the 71 is not visible, it should be 971 / case match number. Both sides same number which is good.

I knew those cylinders where cast, i have to turn the engine another time (to take of the SSI headers) so I can use them on the S engine, will make some pix of the casting numbers then.
    --

Ok, I thought you meant 9/71 as in sept. 1971. I have not seen this type of number on my cases, but I have never had a early alu case..

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

The 971 is simply a number stamped by the machine shop to identify matching case halves.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers