Thread: Seeking advice re front inertia-reel belts

Question Seeking advice re front inertia-reel belts

My new-to-me '70T coupe still has its original repa seat belts front and rear. I have a 5-year-old son whom I'd like to be able to ride in the car, so I definitely plan on updating the rear seat belts to a three-point, interia reel type (e.g., Peparts' KT120-3-RET-EARLY) to be used with a booster seat. I would also like to replace the front belts at the same time, given that the fabric of the repa belts is very stiff and nonflexible, and also appears to be worn in places. I just don't trust their integrity.

I'd like to replace the non-retractable front belts with retractable, inertia-reel type belts as I think my wife and I may find them more comfortable and allowing an easier range of adjustment. (I don't have immediate intentions to DE or track this car so I'm not really considering four-point harnesses at this time. Safety is still paramount however.) I know retracting belts were optional in '70 as instructions for their use appear in my owner's manual. Front seats are of the non-sports variety, FWIW.

Authenticity and appearance aside, what are the group's thoughts on going this route? Would Peparts' model KT101C be the best bet or are there alternatives?

Thanks,
    Ed
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

On my 73 and 74 cars the retractable belt is mounted on the inside bodywork behind the trim panel on either side at the rear. The belt feeds thru a plastic slot in the trim, rises to and goes thru a bracket on the B pillar, then comes forward across the seat. I'm assuming the earlier optional solution worked similarly. My guess is that redoing an earlier car like this, unless there is provision for the bracket already on the body behind the trim (easy enough to look), would be way more trouble than it is worth. And doing it some more obvious non-stock way would reduce the car's value significantly. In your shoes, I think I'd have the stock belts rewebbed. FWIW
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

I did this on my 71 about 6 months ago. Very happy with the results. I used the same kit from PEP. There are plugs in place, I used a little heat to soften the undercoating, in the wheel wells to uncover the plug bolt. You do need to jack up the car, but you can leave the wheels on, and just reach in past the wheel. The instructions are straight forward, easy two hour job.

This is a worth while conversion for both comfort and safety. Put your OEM belts in a box, and keep them for the next owner.
    Rob Abbott

Seeking advice re front inertia-reel belts

as Rob has mentioned this is a good conversion, we have done several. In those years since the car could have come with retractors or the non-retractor, Porsche used an additional upholstery panel that covered the retractor mechanism, this what has the slot that the belt comes up through. This part will be hard to find, you'll have to search the salvage yards. Strangely enough the retractors were available for R.O.W. before they were legal in the U.S. I guess the D.O.T. didn't approve them right away.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

A 5 year old rider has certain characteristics, one of which might be relatively light weight. Perhaps too light for regular passenger seat usage. You might need a child safety or booster seat depending on your state's traffic regs. And if you do, you'll need a clip on the retracting seat belt to fix its length so it holds the seat in place.

Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
    A 5 year old rider has certain characteristics, one of which might be relatively light weight. Perhaps too light for regular passenger seat usage. You might need a child safety or booster seat depending on your state's traffic regs. And if you do, you'll need a clip on the retracting seat belt to fix its length so it holds the seat in place.

Sherwood
    Understood. Have been using boosters in our daily drivers and intend to continue doing so in the 911T.

edmayo: A PM is coming your way.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474