ROFLMAO
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
    ROFLMAO
    where's the joke???or is this an inside one???
    we all need a little rolling on the floor these days tho my ass is already gone!
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Quote Originally Posted by EARLY911ZOO View Post
    where's the joke???or is this an inside one???
    we all need a little rolling on the floor these days tho my ass is already gone!
    Maybe its not funny, but that motor is double the going market rate when the economy was good. Now, who knows...perhaps $6500 for a used 'S' motor still holds as the benchmark. Regardless, I was merely commenting on the "optimistic" nature of the ad.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Optimism reigns supreme...

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I'm curious about that half value you put on it.
    last year someone on here had a 72 S on the ground for $8500 and sold it promptly.
    there was no real history or guaranty it was running.
    A 73S engine on Ebay earlier this year sold for the BIN of $12K again out of the car and nothing but hearsay of a "possible" rebuild.....
    I glean most of what I know aboot these cars from here and Pelican, Ebay ect...
    If I am way off on this its because of what I see here and other places.

A 69S engine FS on Pelican in pieces is $6500 so how do you tabulate and match this up
    with this engine here, which has been upgraded by a reputable shop (Modderman SF) did such a good job that years later it still runs excellent, has no leaks and is not on the ground with " it ran when PO removed it!"

even If you built this from spares to get one running, I doubt you can even come close to your $6500 figure unless its cheaper where you live
    With a rebuild costing $15K and thats not including your own engine, it makes sense to the right person to acquire something like this.

yeah its a crappy economy but last I recall they dont make these anymore, sure you can buy way more power for your $$$ but this is a vintage engine.

One fellow who was interested ( this is a very good match for his car) the engine is only 30 some numbers away. (I offered it at $10K) initially he was ready to buy and he was excited to find something he can hear run however after visiting forums he was told this was too much for this engine, wonder where he got that notion?

Stuff sells for whatever someone wants to pay for, with 54 watchers, I think a lot of them are optimists too, hoping/wanting/watching for SIGNS that this economy will recover before we have to GIVE away our beloved stuff for peanuts!
    others are merely watching like oglers at an accident scene while some will point fingers and say " I TOLD YOU SO"

I have not been around these cars very long, just under 3 years I have a lot more to learn, I am just wishing it wont be at the cost of selling off my all the great finds at fire sale prices.
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Picked up a good 911/02 in Sweden, $5100 just bolt it in an go. I was missing a 911/02 for my 70S. Its getting complete ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

All I know is what I have paid and what others are selling like motors for. I bought a non-runner for under $6K. There is another one for sale on this forum for just over that. I agree that a runner has more value, but unless a fresh build, not double.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

there will always be deals/bargains/divorces ect...
    they usually get snapped up by within minutes on Ebay/Pelican/CL ect.. by rogue investors looking to capitalize (many of you on here including myself, yes)
    so let me see a non runner S eng for $6K plus a rebuild $15K is $21K
    so youd pay how much ???? for one that has a fresh rebuild with invoices?
    $12K? now that would be a hell of a deal, I agree.
    so who sells a fresh S motor for $12K??and where are they? Oh I remember Porsches are a money pit
    and we are set to lose our asses when come time to sell or have found a new love and want to get out! Yeah right!
    not so!!! I didnt come to acquire a nice collection by flipping Chevy's.

who buys an RS engine for $25K?
    maybe you guys been at it too long, I come with fresh eyes and hope for the best. I was tired of seeing Chevelles and Camaros selling for stupid money, I didnt understand why Porsches were so cheap in comparison, I thought I was too old to get that either.
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

IMHO...

For the right car/buyer, $12K is legit. These don't pop-up that often and all the hard pieces are there (it appears). If I was in the wrecking business and was just adding to my parts inventory, I would expect to pay a lot less.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100