Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK 69S Targa

UK 69S Targa

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=700594

Given today's exchange rate of 1.2764 this 69S targa appears very attractive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

On sale since Nov.....gradually getting cheaper by the day for you guys in the US, oh how the tables have turned

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22485

No affiliation

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

First of all, you are calculating an exchange rate of Euro's to dollars, but the seller's price is in GB pounds! The exchange rate to the pound is currently GBP 1.42 to the US$1 so the actual ask price of the car is just under US$40,000. Now add on transport costs and import taxes and you are easily looking at north of $52,000. I am not saying that is a bad deal, it is just not as cheap as you make it sound by listing the wrong exchange rate and not adding in the extra costs to bring the car over to the nicer side of the Atlantic

Also, I just noticed that the car has been listed for sale since November 2008. Maybe he just dropped the price or the car isn't as great as it is being advertised as??
    Sure looks nice from here though

hi all,

It's my car.

The car is decent. I just don't have enough room. I have 2 911's and a 356 which is nearing completion. And I'm also not in a rush to sell it. The price was £28k back in November, it's £28k now.

There was some interest but as it's a lhd car in a rhd country most of it was an exchange of photo's.

I was only intending on advertising it on 3 websites. TheSamba, DDK and here. Someone beat me to it last time by posting the link.

Maybe people don't dig the Targa until the sun comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    First of all, you are calculating an exchange rate of Euro's to dollars, but the seller's price is in GB pounds! The exchange rate to the pound is currently GBP 1.42 to the US$1 so the actual ask price of the car is just under US$40,000. Now add on transport costs and import taxes and you are easily looking at north of $52,000. I am not saying that is a bad deal, it is just not as cheap as you make it sound by listing the wrong exchange rate and not adding in the extra costs to back back on the nicer side of the Atlantic
    Thanks for clarifying. Please break down the transportation and tax costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. Please break down the transportation and tax costs.
    Macaroni,
    I will leave that to the prospective buyer. I am not import broker. Try Wikipedia...

I shipped a few cars from Europe to the US. There are a couple of options:
    Roll on Roll off (i.e. car in belly of the ship, driven in and out by whoever is around) will cost you - end to end with all customs fees and taxes - around $4,000 - $5,000.

Shipping in a 20ft container will cost you around $10k, maybe a tad less if you go with a cheaper shipper. I have the detailed breakdown of transportation, all the "little" port fees that quite add up and taxes/ fees/ bonds at home and can post if interested.

Prices are for Europe to California. It gets a tad cheaper for East Coast, but not by much ($500 - $1,000 at best). This does not include the sales tax in your state. Also, not included is any additional insurance you should be getting for the transportation, beyond the basic, crappy coverage.

If ads tell you that shipping is available for $1,000, all they quote you is the basic transportation cost for the cheapest roll on roll off they can find without all the other stuff that will add up. Also, if interested check the SCM files. Martin Cosdel, a car collector and owner of one of the best shipping companies (I used them. They are fantastic) wrote a detailed story on it maybe a year ago.

Mike
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

Thanks for the info..........

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    Thanks for the info..........
    Macroni,
    Didn't mean to be curt with you about breaking down costs, but to find out would take some time and a few phone calls. Mike's post above is a pretty good ballpark though.
    I see that based upon your signature line you have a 69S in parts. Are you getting some crazy ideas above buying a twin?