Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RSR fan coating

RSR fan coating

Some pictures I found (and I hope the owners don't mind my using them) show 2.8 RSR fans with a paint finish supposedly to replicate some kind of original finish, anybody have any idea's as to what that might have been?

Experts I've spoken to have no recollection of anything like it other than a techtyl spray, and I've not seen it on any period pictures, any idea's?

Mike

cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294

Those fans have the color of natural fiberglass. A lot of race engines (say 917) had them, but I don't know for certain if they were used on 911 as well.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I'm in love! Gotta find one.....

Call newton. maybe he will tell you how he accomplished that look on a metal fan
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Shows how much I know.... I thought it was 'glass.

Dave is referring to Jim Newton at Automobile Associates of Canton. Canton, CT

Stu

thanks for that, have e-mailed Jim and hopefully he will be able to shed some light on the finish.

Mike
    cheers, Mike
    Member#1664

The original process was called D-7, or Dupont 7. used for magnesium. You can no longer do that here in usa- EPA no-no. So some have opted for a tinted clear to approximate the yellowish metal like finish the D-7 left.
    Imho, the above finishes are too shiny and maybe due to reflection one is downright over the top

Pure clear is a problem as the porosity of the mag will eventually bleed dark blotches . Another issue is the edge of the blades get blasted with dust while driving and lose most coatings over time

We take a different approach. We use a local media blaster that really cleans the fans and rings, then with a soft media gets them as uniform as they will get. We then reattach the center with blind rivets (had a tool made) . While the center is out, it get replated. Then we tell the clients to hit the fan and ring with WD-40 at least once a month to maintain the finish. It stays this way for a pretty long time (at least two years and counting). True; no yellowish coating, but we think it looks a lil nicer than that (imho ! )
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2

thanks again, we chromate dip finish the mag here for a great even look which again lasts well with WD40. This is my old 2.7 engine done that way.

cheers, Mike
    Member#1664

beeyouteeful! yes- ours look that way after about 2-3 years (probably because of the sunny climate most of the time)
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2

Gibbs Brand works well also as well as WD40.
    72S, 72T now ST