Thread: Another Ebay car in need of rescue: '72 S Targa

Another Ebay car in need of rescue: '72 S Targa

Owner modified.

Ebay # 140302283903
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Thumbs down grrrrrrrrrrrr

This gives me a chance to vent on one of my pet peeves: Why do some people (maybe even some around here) insist on characterizing their car's engine as "RS spec" when even the most cursory inspection by any neophyte can tell that this car's engine is nowhere near "RS spec"? The lack of MFI alone makes this car seriously misrepresented.

Jack.
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

I will take Webbers over MFI any day of the week or year. Easey to tune in the first place and to keep running over time. And something the average Joe can up keep. Specs to me usally mean displacement compression and the updates. Of corse I had to settel for a 75 ROW Rs 2.7 motor. Oh wait there is a bump to the compression of one point. So dose the change in compression and the carbs change this from an Rs motor? I would not change out for MFI or CIS, for what better fuel milage? Get a Prius if you want to feel injected.
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

actually MFI is far from being a fuel miser, its a hog, I get prolly less than 10mpg with my 2.0S MFI( i never checked)...however...
    nothing like the sound and accelaration of an MFI S engine
    you dont get into one of these for fuel economy
    but I guarantee more smiles per miles
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

To each his own.

I drove an MFI 73 T 800 freeway miles at 75 mph and got a measured 20 mpg. Driving aggressively on back roads will deliver a lot less mileage, but yes....more smiles. Most MFI systems don't really get tuned correctly so run too rich much of the time. Once a good condition MFI system is set up properly, it works well for many, many miles. If you take a trip from the CA coast to Denver, that carbed engine will be running way too rich once you get there. The MFI will just keep performing the way you like it.

MFI is the original 'hot rod' fuel system from Porsche. Most of the great 70s race cars used it. Since one can still get good parts to rebuild these systems, they are still a favorite choice for those of us who want to build a 911 long hood hot rod. To each his own.

Gib
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Poor baby...hope it gets rescued
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I kind of like the look of the air intake on the non spoiler front bumper. Almost has an E type look to it. I would think it would provide a lot of extra cooling to the external front cooler as well. It's the rest of the car that puts me off.

Quote Originally Posted by WCB4 View Post
    I will take Webbers over MFI any day of the week or year. Easey to tune in the first place and to keep running over time. And something the average Joe can up keep. Specs to me usally mean displacement compression and the updates. Of corse I had to settel for a 75 ROW Rs 2.7 motor. Oh wait there is a bump to the compression of one point. So dose the change in compression and the carbs change this from an Rs motor? I would not change out for MFI or CIS, for what better fuel milage? Get a Prius if you want to feel injected.
    I'm not sure I see how a preference for carburetors or MFI relates to the fact that calling a carbureted engine "RS spec" is a misrepresentation, and usually a case somebody fooling nobody but himself.
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro