Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing t-bars; stay stock or bump?

Replacing t-bars; stay stock or bump?

Found my front t-bars have been rubbing due to bushing 'cold flow' so need to replace them.

Car has f/r sways already (factory stuff) and is used for fun weekends, auto-x and maybe the occasional DE. Would also like to do some hillclimbs in the next year or two as well if i can pass tech w/o a cage.

I'm pretty happy with the handling of the car as it sits and DO NOT want a bouncy, rough ride. Bushings will be replaced with rubber (front and rear).

Seems a lot of people do the 21/26 setup but this seems like a BIG increase over stock. It'd be nice to find a cheap used stock setup from either an early car or maybe an SC (just a touch stiffer in the rear right?).

Thoughts on this?
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Thinking a bit more about this and what i would like is a car that is predictable and safe on back roads (and the odd track day) but can turn a good autox time.

Maybe stock t-bars but switch to an adjustable rear sway? Tighten up for autox and loosen for street/track?

Or do that AND 21/26?

I'm not excited about the look nor cost of an adjustable rear sway but it seems like a good answer.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

21's and 26's give a very comfortable ride, but more controlled than stock. For reference purposes, I have hollow 22's and 30's in my '69 the ride is still quite acceptabel for the street (my finacee agrees as well). I definitely do not feel 21's and 26's compromise a comfortable ride.
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

I just replaced my stock t-bars on my 69T' with 21 & 29 hollow bars. Im still running a 13mm front sway bar & no rear bar. My plan is to go to a bigger front sway bar and matching rear when funds allow.
    I did a track day yesterday and it felt like a different car , with a lot less body roll and much better turn in and predictability. No more "wheels up". I cant wait to get the sway bars on.
    I cant notice any real difference in ride quality.
    Matt Hart
    matthartcreative@instagram
    RHD 914
    1980 911SC (sold)
    69' T (sold)
    Early 911s reg # 994

I have 21/26 torsion bars on my 1970 911T with factory 18 mm F/R sway bars. The ride quality has not suffered for a street car. It is firmer and more controlled, but not rough and noisy. I think you will like 21/26 torsion bars. Don't go too stiff on the shocks.

The rubber suspension bushings are key.

Good luck.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

would 19/26 throw my balance off?

no doubt it would be a nice ax combo and make the car easier to rotate but how would this combo be in fast sweepers?

car is stock flared and will have 205/60's for street and 205/50's for track use.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

My 74 had the stock t bars, 19mm f and 23 mm rear. This set up yields rears which are about 2.15X as stiff as the fronts if my math is right (23/19 raised to the 4th power.) I like less understeer than that delivers. Lots of people run 22/29, which yields a rear bar that is 3X as stiff as the front and much less understeer. 19/26 would give rear bars 3.5X as stiff as the fronts, certainly not crazy and probably fine if you like some oversteer and have light hands.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

22/28, Bilstein sports up front, Rallye in the back. Try that and see if you like it-- or go custom valved bilstein.

That was my old race setup before I went to 23/31. Even 23/31 is not enough for race purposes.

For the street 22/28 was firm but not rock hard. 23/31 is rock hard.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Man seems like everybody is looking for 21's!

Located 22/28's for sale but not dirt cheap. Maybe 21/27 would be a good compromise...
    Erik

Early S # 1107

You can always follow Steve Weiner's advice: http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1-e.html
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300