Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: 69 S in New Mexico

FS: 69 S in New Mexico

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/1050725379.html
    no affilliation with seller. Nice color combo.
    Zach Mayne
    1969 911T, 1988 924S, 1985 635CSi, some Alfas and a Fiat....

Somebody needs to get the story on this pronto!

I want pics of the 993 body kit, Lambo doors and hack job convertible top, cause if this is for real I am dying that I don't live close enough to drop what I am doing and buy it.
    Brad Larson
    67 Soft Window S - Polo Red
    00 Boxster S - Speed Yellow

Committed to buy it if the PPI is OK.

Alan

for real?

If it real it's a steal!!
    Kjell "Shel" Nelin
    72 911T
    69 E-type OTS
    73 Lancia Fulvia
    Registry Member #1099
    Kjell Gruppen Member #1

http://web.mac.com/alfaguy/Site/1972_911T.html

No idea if its real or not, but it appears to be.
    Zach Mayne
    1969 911T, 1988 924S, 1985 635CSi, some Alfas and a Fiat....

Just called, someone is on their way with a mechanic and bag of money.
    Looks like it might be gone.

I hope it is you, Alan. '69S is one of the best (as you well know).
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by zmayne View Post
    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/1050725379.html
    no affilliation with seller. Nice color combo.
    Aw, geez... the ad is no longer visible. anyone have a cache of the ad?
    Hope Alan got first crack at buying the car.

then, Open 'PAINT' using bottom left Start menu.

Click 'Edit' along top of screen.

then click 'Paste'.

then save as a separate document.

In this way, the ad is stored permanently and may be included
    as an attachment or image within a posted message.

(I've also used this method if I am interested in a car or other item on craigslist- used as a safeguard to help filter out potentially unethical
    sellers who may modify their ad copy or photos during the time
    their ad is running, or simply to memorialize an advert/ phone # which
    may eventually appear in a future fraudulent posting somewhere)
    Paul

1969 911E non-sunroof coupe, Slate Gray/black
    1971 911T Targa, Gold/black... OE (sport seats, Mahle gasburner wheels)

- Early S Registry #1763

Careful with that car. When a deal is too good to be true it usually is. Those pic's were taken at quite a distance, no motor pic's and no underside pic's confirming no rust. The car is New Mexico though and that is almost as good as AZ when it comes to rust free cars....

And here's the rest of the story

OK, here's my follow up and "one that got away" story.

Some of you know my car; a lightweight tourer that Rod and Gary Emory built for me. Among other adventures I drove the car from Cincinnati to San Louis Obispo with the Midwest R gruppe guys last October. That trip confirmed that I had a fantastic car, but that having one with undercoating, soundproofing, and heat would be the right second car. As mine is a nonmatching everything car with many modifications, I thought that an original and unmodified car would be the way to go. My 3 boys argue about who gets my car when I'm gone (probably next week if you ask them) so if this was #2 in a few years I could buy #3 and each of them could start working with me to take care of their car. My Emory car is a 1969 S Targa, so an original 69S was perfect. It had to be fate.

Thanks to Zmayne I found the Craigslist ad and called right away. I spoke to the owner's nephew who told me that he was selling the car for his uncle who was in his 80s and had bought the car new. He described the uncle as a fanatic about his car and pointed out the floor mats with his uncle's initials.

I told him that I would buy the car if it passed a PPI and offered a nonrefundable deposit. The nephew said that he would pass this on to his uncle. The way he talked made it clear that he had had no firm offer. I asked him to consider mine an offer of cash to buy the car.

I left a post asking about a PPI and did some searching on my own. I came up with a local shop that knew early Porsches and seemed like very good guys as well. I called the nephew back and told him that I had arranged for a PPI and that if necessary someone could come to the house (great offer from Russ at PMCI) and get the car started or do the PPI on the spot if needed.

A few hours later the nephew called me back. He told me that his uncle had spoken directly to someone from Santa Fe who had come to see the car and left a deposit. His uncle told the buyer that he did not want to deal with a PPI and it was take it as it is or leave it. The buyer said that he would go back home and think about buying it without a PPI.

I told the nephew that I would buy the car without a PPI and again offered the deposit. I also pointed out that this was a firm offer and not a "think about it". I was still hopeful. There was a chance that the buyer would decide not to take the risk (about like the chance that the tissue paper cat chased by an asbestos dog will make it through hell, but I was REALLY excited about this car).

Last night the nephew called me back. The uncle had decided that he couldn't sell the car to someone else when he had agreed to wait for the buyer's decision. The buyer had bought the car.

I spoke to the shop that was going to do the PPI for me and it turned out that they knew the buyer and had been to see the car. Russ told me that the car was a jewel, and at that point I asked him to stick an icepick into my other ear rather than continue to tell me what I great car I had missed.

So, an honorable seller, an honest buyer, and a great car sold. The nephew told me that when the buyer came to complete the purchase he brought his family and a bottle of wine. Sounds like the car went to someone who is going to appreciate it.

There's one out there for me. I just need to find it.

Stay tuned.
    Alan