Thread: Questions for Norbert Singer?

Questions for Norbert Singer?

I'm going to the tech session at Farnbacher Loles Saturday. Nobert Singer is flying over for the day to attend. I imagine that at some point I will have a chance to ask Mr. Singer a few questions. If anyone has a question that's been bothering you (which car actually won the '73 TF???), I'll cetainly give it a shot.

Some of the others speakers will be Bruce Anderson, Allan Caldwell, John Paterek, Jim Newton.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Jim:

How about this one:

Is PNA in line for any O'Bam "stimulants" money to hand out to first time RS GT buyers?
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Jim:

I would like to know what happened to the #107 Martini RSR from the 73 Targa Florio, and what was its VIN ...was it renumbered to 360 0002, or was it possibly the Museum RSR (which is supposed to 360 0020)? It disappears from sight after the Targa, (unless it is the museum RSR). Was it cut up for scrap, renumbered again as a short hood RSR, sold to a race team or private customer? He has been asked this before I think, but it would be interesting to see what he recollects now.

Gib
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Actually, he's here now.

NJ or VT?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

I'm in CT for some "pre-event" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Jim:

I would like to know what happened to the #107 Martini RSR from the 73 Targa Florio, and what was its VIN ...was it renumbered to 360 0002, or was it possibly the Museum RSR (which is supposed to 360 0020)? It disappears from sight after the Targa, (unless it is the museum RSR). Was it cut up for scrap, renumbered again as a short hood RSR, sold to a race team or private customer? He has been asked this before I think, but it would be interesting to see what he recollects now.

Gib

Gib, I did have a chance to talk to him yesterday and asked all of the above questions. He was quite sure that the #107 car is not the one in the museum, nor was it the car that Zasada wrecked in Poland, but he had no idea where the car did go after the race. He couldn't remember the VIN, but said that it was one of 5 or 6 cars that they had at Weissach to test new ideas on, that's why it was a leftover '72 body. They brought it along as a recon vehicle, and it got an engine swap and entered in the race after the accident with the other car. Basically a left over test hack, a means to an end that didn't have much value after it had done it's job.

He gave an entertaining talk about the 917 and 935 developments in the morning and another after dinner about the 956 and 962 evolution. Un fortunately he only briefly touched on the RSRs.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Jim:

Thanks for asking Mr. Singer about #107.

His answers are pretty much in line with the conclusion of most of us from the great Targa Florio thread on this site. These comments should help to put to rest that 0020 (#9) and 0002 (most likely #107) were not the same car, and also seem to confirm that what happened to #107 (0002) is a mystery to even the most connected insiders from the day. We may never find out its final fate, but we can feel good in knowing the role it played in the development of the RSR from a 72 ST.

I wish I could have attended that talk with Norbert Singer...he is legend as far as I am concerned.

Gib
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    I wish I could have attended that talk with Norbert Singer...he is legend as far as I am concerned.
    I went only because he was going to be there. We won't see his equal again I think, truly a legend.

I had a chance before dinner to buy him a glass of wine and talk with him for about an hour. Just great! There were four other guys, and he was answering in depth any questions that we could come up with. His enthusiasm for the projects that he worked on over the years is still there. He talked in depth about the importance of tire development and how he would study the tires before debriefing the drivers, how the wheel problems on the customer 962s was caused by using cheaper BBS aluminum wheels rather than the Forged Speedlines that the factory was using (with wheel nuts torqued to 650 ftlbs! ), how all of the funny tabs and side spoilers on the recent F1 cars were just to steer the air to the rear spoiler, his opinions of the new regenerative systems in F1 (the next logical step), and many funny stories about knowing when to play dumb to get the officials to let you do something not quite in the spirit of the regulations.

It was an evening that I won't soon forget.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823