Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy at Bernie Buschen's shop...

I just got off the phone with Bernie and his spirits sounded a little higher. Scott is being treated in the burn unit at Harborview in Seattle. His condition is stable and should eventually see full recovery. However, it is not known yet what will be needed to get him to that point...grafting, physical therapy etc... Apparently they will know more once the 72 hr mark hits so I will keep everyone posted. Any visitation will need to wait for at least a week since he is in isolation to minimize any chance of infection.

Bernie and I also discussed a potential rebuild process for the shop and I will fill anyone in with details on that. Eventually we will need contracting help/advice so if anyone has any experience please let us know but for now we are waiting to hear back from the insurance company.

We will be organizing a work party this weekend to help move parts/tools etc and continue cleaning parts to minimize corrosion issues from water damage. If any of the local group can help, that would be great. We will most likely work both Friday and Saturday at the very least.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Thanks for all your efforts, Chris. You are a great example of the fraternity of brothers that are this community and R Gruppe.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Harborview is top-notch

I used to fly medivac and brought a lot of patients to Harborview. They are one of the best...

Bill
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

I investigate fire-damaged buildings for a living. If there is any need for a 2nd opinion on what the insurance company concludes as far as repairability and extent of structural damages, I can do it via photos, review of engineer reports, contractor proposals, etc. No problem.

curt_at_ paragonforensic.com

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    I investigate fire-damaged buildings for a living. If there is any need for a 2nd opinion on what the insurance company concludes as far as repairability and extent of structural damages, I can do it via photos, review of engineer reports, contractor proposals, etc. No problem.

curt_at_ paragonforensic.com
    Thanks, Curt. Will pass it along.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Prayers for Scott and Bernie.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I'd be happy to auction off a pair of calipers to help the rebuild fund.

E.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Just got a mail from Chris about weekends events.

Truly awful and hope Scott makes 100% speedy recovery.

I'm sure you guys will all rally around and help Bernie out, just wish I was closer to be of help too.

Chris if there is anything we can do on this side of the pond just let me know mate.

jason

is there a practical way east coaster's can assist?
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you a Buschen update...

Scott turned the corner last night and is doing much better. He is walking a bit, sitting upright and eating solid foods. All of those are great indications that he is going to continue on a fast track to recovery. Although he suffered 3rd degree burns over 40% of his body, the surgeons are very excited about his recovery speed. Apparently others with less trauma battle with life vs death.

So the plan is for an extensive surgery tomorrow. He is still in intensive care so no visitors for probably another 7-10 days. Needless to say Bernie is excited about his recovery speed.

Bernie also continues to pass on his extreme gratitude for all of our hard work and thoughts/prayers.

So the rebuild plan is as follows...

Apparently his home owners is coming out to survey the damage and hopefully pay on the claim to help fund the rebuild. So, until then, we need to leave the structure alone. Woody Perkins is going to initiate permitting for the demolition and construction of the new structure once an insurance decision is made.

The plan for this weekend is to continue moving parts/tools out of the damaged portion of the shop so the rebuild can take place. I will be there Friday and Saturday so if anyone can/wants to join in, it would be an enormous help. Bernie was amazed at what we were all able to accomplish in such a short period of time...a large group makes it go soooo much easier. Bernie will be there this weekend so he can help sort through parts which was difficult to do without him last weekend.

Thanks again for everyones help and concern and I will keep everyone posted with updates and if there are any other ways people can help if they wish.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Good news about Scott!

I can help on Saturday. What time? Do we need more paper towels, WD-40, or anything else?
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478