Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling on Tire Experts

Calling on Tire Experts

I want to get my car back to running order again for Spring (after a long hibernation with minimal driving). My car has a set of Yokohama A008R 195/60R-15 tires on the stock 6x15 rims. These tires are barely used and VERY OLD now. And to make matters worse, it the little bit of driving I've done since installing them, one of them picked up a big screw that causes a wondeful slow leak.

I've decided that rather than repair the damaged tire, I will bite the bullet and buy new tires. For autocross/street driving, what would be a good tire set-up on my stock rims?

All advice appreciated!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

How serious are you about autocrossing? Fun or competitive?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenikh's question is valid. It's difficult to have it both ways. I have dealt with this on all my cars. My philosophy is period correct tires produced to current standards. I suggest 2 sources; Lucas Classic Tires in Long Beach 562 595 6721 for Verdestein 185/70 HR Sprint Classic @ $139 ea, which I have on my 73 911. great street tire with some limits for auto-crossing. Most people I know who compete have 2 sets of wheels/tires.
    However, if you want a King Kong tire there is the FIA Rally Avon CR6ZZ-DOT. Sold by SascoSports @ 434 822 7200-talk to Dave. Look up SascoSports online. They carry a 185 70 R15 @ $234 ea or a 205 70 R 15 @ 299 ea. DOT approved and great tire, however they are limited in the rain. Both fit a 6" rim. I had them on my 73 Kremmer RS.
    Hope this is some help.
    Duane
    Duane Hyatt

I would love to get back to "competitive". At this stage, period correct is not critical. All of my earlier references are gone. I ran my A001R's until they were ragged and I would've done the same with the A008R's. That was then and this is now. I won't run the 7's any more (see photo) and 195/60-15 does not seem to be available in "competitive" tires any more. I appreciate the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

I used to run the Yoko 008R 195/60-15 and it was a fantastic tire. Great for the street and at the time it was also a very good auto-x/track tire. Times have changed! I would recommend two sets of wheels and tires if you are going to get serious about your autocrossing. With an early 911 your second set of wheels and tires will fit in the car with you. It's hard to beat the Hoosier A-6 for auto-x. I run a 225/45-15 on Weidman 7R's (stock body 73). You may be able to fit the 225's on a stock 6" Fuch. It will not fit on a regular 7". On a regular 7" Fuch, you can run the Hoosier 205/50-15 and that works very well.
    If you do not want to go the 2 sets of wheels route, a good compromise would be the Kumho V710's. It's a very good auto-x tire. Some folks think it's as quick as the Hoosier. It's also a fantastic street tire. You will NOT get good mileage on the street. As mentioned before, you can't have it both ways. Hope this info helps. If you have questions PM me. I've tried almost every combination.
    Bobby

Thanks Bobby. What size do you recommend on the Kumho V710's?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Toyo RA1 in 205/50-15 is a great all weather competition tire that you could drive on the street. Another choice in that size is a Yoko AO48. If that's too short, then maybe a Kuhmo Ecsta or Bridgestone Potenza would work. As Bobby says, Kuhmo V710 or Hoosiers (both 205/50-15) will wear out fast on the street.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Tires

Another nice benefit of running the 205.50's, is shorter gears!
    I've been running this size on my 'E' for several years now. I do switch out wheels/tires to autocross, however. I just put a set of Z rated Fuzions on mine, for daily use.
    I'll let you know how they do...

Vic

I believe the BFG G-Force Sport and the Yoko A048 are available in the 205X60X15 also
    Dale Thero S Registry # 200

Major grins here for the Advan A048 !

205/55-16 and 225/50-16 on 7x16 and 8x16 Fuchs
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425