Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does someone consign their car with a dealer

Why does someone consign their car with a dealer

Just so the dealer can turn around and list the car on EBay, when the owner could do that himself and not pay the high commission.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/po...Q_sopZ3QQ_scZ1

I have two answers. First is that you don't have to deal with the prospective buyers. At least one good guy on the board decided not to sell his car due to unpleasant interactions and broken promises. Second is that eBay is becoming a place to get cheap world wide visibility for a car. Seeing it on eBay doesn't mean that the seller or broker isn't listing the car in other places and contacting everyone he knows to see if he can find a buyer.

It makes me think of selling my driver when it gets replaced. I know I'd get more privately than from the dealer, but is it worth the hassle if the numbers are close? With these cars I'm sure the difference is larger, but I expect these are people with a lot of money who guard their time very carefully. Someday...

Alan

The psychology of buying from an expert (whether true or not) in the business vs. a private party.

If no dealers were involved we wouldn't need CPI, Blue Book, NADA etc.. because there would be "no spread".

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Because it's a time consuming, and sometimes not very fun process.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv View Post
    I heard that...

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv View Post
    Agreed.

I have previously sold 2 of my P-cars (a 356 C Coupe and a 911 Turbo Coupe) on consignment through a dealer. Both were no muss, no fuss, clean transactions. And, I was very satisfied with the service provided and the $ return.

In my opinion, the value a third party provides is very subjective; to some (with plenty of time available for answering emails and phone calls along with a knack for marketing and selling) this approach offers little to no value. Conversely; to others (consumed with juggling many other personal and professional responsibilities) the third party's commission is money well spent....and earned.

My $.02
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Quote Originally Posted by FL-Frank View Post
    Agreed.

I have previously sold 2 of my P-cars (a 356 C Coupe and a 911 Turbo Coupe) on consignment through a dealer. Both were no muss, no fuss, clean transactions. And, I was very satisfied with the service provided and the $ return.

In my opinion, the value a third party provides is very subjective; to some (with plenty of time available for answering emails and phone calls along with a knack for marketing and selling) this approach offers little to no value. Conversely; to others (consumed with juggling many other personal and professional responsibilities) the third party's commission is money well spent....and earned.

My $.02
    I agree, money well spent from my viewpoint. Dealing with all of the tire kickers is not my idea of spending my time wisely. I have sold about 9 cars with Paul at Auto Kennel, and all of them have been no hassle transactions.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Having done both, I have consigned because;

1. I am lazy (busy if you prefer).
    2. It's 95% of the money for 10% of the aggravation.
    3. I don't have to meet strangers at my home with my kids around. I hate to think that there is a safety aspect, but there is.

Who are the best guys to consign with?

I have heard good things about Paul @ Auto Kennel & Brian at California Porsche Restoration? Any thoughts??

Agreed

I agree with the above statements, I can post 24 pictures on Ebay and no matter what someone will want a picture of something not shown. I have spent my Saturday showing a car to tire kickers and it takes a lot of time to even post an ad on Ebay about 4 to 8 hours with photo's etc, then most of the questions people ask you can be answered if they just READ the ads. I think it might be worse to right longer more detailed ads because no one likes to or has time to read. As an example the last car I listed on E-bay I was accused of not listing the vin number (on this board) and it was posted in the ad in two locations. We should all try to remember years ago when all you got was a two line ad in Hemmings or the 356 registry then you drove hours to look at a car that was a piece of junk. At least now you get to see it and the descriptions no matter how bad they are are better than two lines. Just my opinion. Thanks Ron