Thread: $10 siphon sand blaster at Home Depot

$10 siphon sand blaster at Home Depot

Was looking for tubing to make that budget soda blaster when i came across a $14 blast gun w/ hose (Husky brand) at Home Depot. Picked it up and it turned out to be on sale for $9 which was a very pleasant surprise.

It is a gun with long rubber tube and metal tube to set in the media of your choice.

I pulled out my recently purchased and filthy SC spring plates and put the metal tube in a box of pure baking soda. WOW!

Yet again i don't have pics but this is the ticket. Pretty good job of cleaning up the dirty plates yet did not remove the yellow protective coating. The good news is it's only baking soda. Coupled with my el-cheapo Harbor Freight blasting hood i had zero gritty crap in my mouth after blasting and nothing more harmful than a pile of baking soda on the ground when done.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

E.

Do you have the sku? I can't find it online.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Funny you should post up; i was just thinking i need to do my brake calipers with this thing!

HD, IMO, has one of the all time worst websites ever. I'll look at the box later today and get back to you.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Agree... I can never find an individual item. This day in-age that's a killer.

Let me know if I can help with the piston.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

They're still available on line only.

HomeDept.com of course then search for

Husky Sandblasting Kit

Model HDS12600AV

Still $9
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster

Thanks, I just ordered one.

$100 Harbor Freight soda blaster

There is a portable soda blaster available at Harbor Freight for around $100. It is well worth it. Soda Blast media is in a grain form not a power form, meaning that Arm&Hammer baking soda is not as good as real soda blast media. If you want to really use soda to help restore your car then I highly recommend looking into soda blasting specific equipment. Harbor Freight can get you started for around $150 with a 50lb bag of media. Home Depot can get you going for $30 but the results are more like a high school experiment than a professional job. You don't need lots of air pressure, a 30 gallon air compressor should do it.

Spend a little money on the right equipment and soda blasting is one of the most amazing cleaning method. Think of this - now you can blast: carburetors, calipers, engine cases, oil system parts, oil coolers, etc. The media and stripped material wash away with water.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=65902

my Ace soda blaster works very well with the XL 500 formula.
    make sure your moisture traps/filters are in top shape and your media is extra dry as even a little moisture will cut the performance easily in half and slow production.
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

wow, the HB soda blaster is an exact copy of the Ace @ half the price
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Mark what exactly does that thing do besides hold the media?

Will pick up some of the soda media next time i'm at a HF but i've never spent $100 at a HF before!
    Erik

Early S # 1107