Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Lacquer Paint

Acrylic Lacquer Paint

Any of you guys ever use "Acrylic Lacquer Paint" or know much about it?

Thanks to the "Great State of California", I can't get it here anymore. But that's another story.

If you know anything about that paint, please let me know. They had at one time a primer/sealer that you could use over enamel and spray lacquer over it.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

DynoDave

Acrylic Lacquer Paint

John,

Your question dates back many years. There was a water based primer made by RM (#806), it was red oxide in color. It was called Barrier Coat and was introduced when the urethane clear coats were first coming on the market in the early '80's. RM's first urethane clear coat was made to be sprayed over acrylic lacquer base coats. However, if you needed to repair it you could not directly spray acrylic lacquer over the urethane clear because it would wrinkle and lift. Other paint manufacturers may have had a similar product, but my personal experience was with the RM barrier coat. RM is a paint brand under the BASF group of companies which includes Glasurit paint.

Acrylic lacquer can still be obtained in limited quantities and colors, but much of the "good stuff" has been removed. Approximately 6 months ago I had to have some color made to match in a repair on a Dolphin Grey 356 Coupe which had been painted about 20 years earlier in acrylic lacquer. I was able to get some paint made and color-matched close enough from my local PPG jobber so that I could blend it in. Should you need more info, or just have more questions, send me a PM me with your phone number. I will be happy to discuss this in more detail with you. Also, if you need any materials, I can check and see what is available in my area for you.

Best,

Dave
    Member # 351

We were still occasionally using acrylic lacquer when I got into the collision repair business in the early 80's. I noticed not that long ago that (surprisingly) Autobodydepot.com in San Diego still carried it. I used to love shooting lacquer and I think it is still appropriate for certain applications where durability/longevity and and maximum corrosion protection are not primary issues. Good luck!

My 71T is an old black lacquer paint job. I haven't found any lacquer anywhere up here in Canada other than a spray can (helps with touchups and minor stuff). I used to spray lacquer all the time in the Harley painting days and loved the stuff. A well rubbed out lacquer job was incredible and deep (I liked to use lots of clear over my work). I'd love to find a couple gallons of some black myself.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by John Straub View Post
    Any of you guys ever use "Acrylic Lacquer Paint" or know much about it?

Thanks to the "Great State of California", I can't get it here anymore. But that's another story.

If you know anything about that paint, please let me know. They had at one time a primer/sealer that you could use over enamel and spray lacquer over it.

John
    JS...It's legal in SD. There only certain Counties in CA that ban this paint. You can go to SD and buy, and you can still find guyz that will spray it for you and Sat. & Sun ( seriously)
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Curt, do they sell their paint by the gallon? I wonder if they can ship it up to Buffalo, NY?
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Curt,

All the paint suppliers here just look at me like I'm crazy...and say we can't get that anymore.

I've been working on blending some lacquer paint that I've had for years all day and I think I have got it. But it sure would be great to find a primer/sealer again. It would make like much easier!

I love working with lacquer...just like the old days. If the EPA found out...they would grab me and haul me off for life! You know killing the planet in from my own garage.

Paul,
    I know you can still get "black" on the web. I have found that. There is a place called "Hibernia" (973.627.1882) that will custom mix...but they did not have any of the primer/sealer that I was looking for.

I'll let you know how it came out when I color sand it.

Thanks,
    John
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Ya, that primer/sealer was great stuff...along with the Dupont spot and glaze putty. You could build a perfect surface with that stuff. Geez, I miss working with that material.
    Paul Schooley
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Paul,

I've been using "Evercoat Metal Glaze...Polyester Finishing and Blending Putty",

It's very,very smooth. Also it's a two part with a hardener. Very lite powder blue in color.

John

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

lacquer

John and Paul. Call Finishmasters' in San Diego. I'm sure they'll ship their paint. If NOT, "plan-B". No worries. Make sure you get the hardeners and the clear. One gallon of paint will do to paint your car. If either of you run into problems send me an email, and we'll get the SD Co. peeps "on-it". BTW, if you're spraying Glasurit, budget at least $1000-$1300 just for the material NOT including Hard & clear.
    curtisaa@aol.com
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L