Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '66 "Barn" Find on E-bay

'66 "Barn" Find on E-bay

OK, fess up, who will be bringing this bit of history back to life?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220374818091

Hello Fellow Ebayers! You are viewing my 1966 Porsche 911 with 73k original miles. I purchased this unbelievable time capsule to restore it and add it to my collection of rare and original vintage Porsches but due to time constraints I will be passing this "Barn Find" on to another afficianado with a better situation. I found this car in Rosyln on Long Island where at was sitting in the same garage that it had been in since new. I purchased it from a widow whose husband parked the car in 1977 and it sat there ever since!!!!! The car appears to be 100 percent original. This means nobody has deflowered its proper factory assembly. For those of you Porsche enthusiast anaware of the unique differances of the early 2 litre cars I will give you the quick rundown. The early unflared and "unlengthened" wheelbase cars are the true 911 they are what made all the buzz that is still going on today. The popout "fly" windows and the cute little pushbutton door handle and tidy little bumpers were all part of what safety regulations in the U.S destroyed in the later cars. These cars were the lightest aswell as the most challenging to drive because they were REAL sports cars. no nonsense engine electronics, no silly power windows just 6 weber venturi's singing in tune with the aircooled exhaust at your back. now let me tell you a little bit about this particular special Porsche;

My acquisition: I purchased the car from the original owner Dr Willard Davies wife last month because it is a time capsule.

The Body: It appears to be wearing its original paint (well it seems to be losing some!) but what you see is all original there are no suprises of bondo or shoddy restoration attempts through the years. It is waiting to be done right today with their current very collectible values in mind. The floor pan is very solid as you can see in the photos and all the floor to rocker seams look amazing. The front pan is weak at the mounts to the front control arm mounts but installing a front pan is a day's job and always expected. I have purchased early cars with "good" front pans and they are always replaced poorly so you end up redoing them anyway. The door jamb sills have some holes but I have seen this even on galvanised cars and it is a light repair with all parts readily available. What we are looking at is a very solid car with a strong pan and all areas of structual support.

The motor: Yes I smiled when I opened up the lid and saw that untouched 2 litre flat six with the great weber carburators that were only installed on the later 1966 cars because of troubles with the early solex units. There isnt much to say here because it is as it should be... everything in place waiting to be returned to use. I do not have the keys so I have not tried to turn it over. I was assured that it was a running always serviced car when it was put away. I would say its safe to assume the motor is stuck but soaking it in some marvel mystery solution and freshening up the carbs and usual tune up bits she can sing again!

The Interior: Have you seen the photos!!! yes this is why I bought the car I have never seen a early 911 at any musuem or any show with anything this nice. I did not even wipe a rag or go near it with a vacuum this is how it came out of storage?!?! yes I am confused aswell. These interiors did not wear well so you know the original owner treated this with utmost care. No puffing of sunvisors, no worn seats, just sweetness it is truly a time capsule and you will be amazed. The trunk is all neat with original battery and cover. Underhood lights intact and all carpet neatly in place.

Wheels: The car has the now rare chrome steel styled wheels with the little porsche chrome center caps that throughout the years always get replaced with fuchs. So be original be differant and stlye the only 911 at the car shows without fuchs! They very well may have the original tires on them which are wolfsburg radials.

In conclusion what we have here is a great 911 selling with no reserve so bid to own and bid alot! please feel free to email me at directly at triumphguy69@yahoo.com and happy bidding!

-Jeremy

The VIN plate if you cant read it in the picture reads as follows 911-S-66 304780. The Motor Serial number reads 901/05 4889

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On Mar-12-09 at 11:35:09 PDT, seller added the following information:

IN RESPONSE TO THE MANY QUESTIONS YES THOSE ARE THE VERY RARE FACTORY OPTION FOGLIGHTS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On Mar-14-09 at 21:49:12 PDT, seller added the following information:

TO EVERYONE WHO ASKED ME TO CHECK...YES I OPENED THE SMUGGLERS BOX AND THE CAR IS EQUIPED WITH THE SUPER RARE FACTORY GAS HEATER. YOU GUYS ARE MAKING ME FEEL LIKE MY CAR IS BETTTER AND BETTER AND MAKING ME REGRET THIS SALE!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

$21K for that fright pig??? That makes me really, really happy.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

The garage that car sat in must not have had a roof.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

They wanted $6000.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=455407

Here is a pelican thread on this car......
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Seemed to have really good door seals...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Wow, the colors are the same as the '68 in the current Excellence, very nice color combo....so much that it blindsides one to the mountain of work this car would require.

All that surface rust would be a biatch to properly eradicate, not to mention the actual rust holes.

I believe the "super rare" gas heater and foglights were standard fare in '66, no?

On the bright side, it does seem very complete and original. But who knows how much of those very original parts could actually be reused??

But, oh, the colors....ahhhhhhhh......the possibilities......these decisions are what make this car hobby so much fun, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=455407

Here is a pelican thread on this car......

Looks like he ignored your advice!
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Hard to believe an interior that old looks that nice yet the exterior is a POS
    What do you think fellas? $60-70 large to restore?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv View Post
    Looks like he ignored our advice!
    What else is new....employees, kids, wife............just another of many.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

What is the saying, "live and learn"?