Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Festival of Speed

California Festival of Speed

April 3-5 will be the California Festival of Speed, at California Speedway.

We are looking at a breakfast meeting place, then drive in together for our corral parking. If we get 20 cars in the corral, no charge for the parking.

At lunch there will be Parade Laps. Most likely we will have our own group to do laps with.

Below is a info letter I recieved. If you would like to go, please let me know via this thread. I need to give the organizers a car count for the corral.

"The California Festival of Speed is being held on April 3-5 at the Auto Club Speedway (formerly the California Speedway) in Fontana. This is a fabulous weekend of PCA Club Racing which brings some of the finest Porsche racers you’ll find anywhere. Teams like James Sofronas with his Global Motorsports Group, who recently ran the 24 Hours at Dayton, Kevin Buckler’s The Racers Group, Steve Beddor’s latest RUF CTR, Loren Beggs, 911 Design and many others. The American Le Mans Series is the only other series that comes close to this quality of Porsche racing.

In addition to the Club Race, there are Time Trials, a Concours d’ Elegance, Vendor’s Row, Car Corrals, Festival Goodie Store and lunchtime Track Tours. We are also again looking forward to an autocross style test drive with Porsche Cars North America bringing out the new Boxster and Cayman which was an overwhelming success last year.

Track Tours allow everyone an opportunity to drive the actual track (at parade lap speed). Whether it is in a Porsche or in the family station wagon with the family, everyone with a valid driver’s license is allowed on the track at the noon time break for a lap or two for $20.00 a car.

We are also making up corrals of like Porsches so contact us and we will let you know what is happening with your Porsche model.

If you belong to a club or group and would like to come together we will exempt the $10.00 parking fee for groups of 20 cars or more.
    The Festival relies on volunteer workers and will be again this year.
    It is a small jump from attending to volunteering to work a 4-hour shift while at the event and volunteers don’t pay parking.

There is no entrance fee. Only $10.00 parking car except for the above situations."

If you want to volunteer in any capacity, they need you, let me know. They are also looking for volunteer drivers to lead and follow the Parade Lap sessions.

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

CA Festival of Speed

Thanks Ray. I'm in.
    George Mihalko
    S Registry #1130
    R-Gruppe #540

1973 911 S
    1972 911 RS Replica
    1960 Roadster
    2006 S Cab

Count me in. But, which day? Usually Saturdays, right? I'll go either day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Count me in. But, which day? Usually Saturdays, right? I'll go either day.
    Sorry Milt,
    Obviously it is happening all 3 days, organizers really want us to go all 3 days.

However, we will be meeting on Saturday April 4..Early roll call and breakfast, then caravan as a group. IF you cannot make the breakfast, PLEASE wait for the caravan BEFORE entering the corral.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255

I can make the breakfast. I got lost 2 years ago and went to the wrong place and still found you guys at the ticket booths and gate. I'll be there.

I don't think Fri will produce 20 cars. BUT, if you concentrate on one day, you will get your 20, maybe 30. Just my .02. Let us know and I'll spread the word to a couple of folks that don't do the forums much. They may be under your email radar too. Early cars, of course.

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Would be very cool to get a group from this board to enter the Time Trial that weekend. Maybe some day.

Driving Cal Speedway at 10/10's is AWESOME! Flying out of NASCAR Turn 2 towards that big wall is 100% pucker time. Have done it in my 914/3.2 and my 911E. I'll be there with the POC in May. Trying to clear the weekend for the Festival of Speed but it looks like family stuff will will take priority.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

CFoS for watching, BW for driving

[QUOTE=RC70SCoupe;198099
    However, we will be meeting on Saturday April 4..Early roll call and breakfast, then caravan as a group. IF you cannot make the breakfast, PLEASE wait for the caravan BEFORE entering the corral.[/QUOTE]

Milt, we are meeting on Saturday..please spread the word for us...

Sandy, several of us did the High Performance Drivers Ed at CFoS, It was a BLAST.

I fell out due to not having a cage/roll bar and 6 point harness and etc. etc.
    A BIG track like that, BIG BAD things can happen unless you have ALL the precautions.

However, for those who want to simply exercise their car, drive it fast without getting a ticket, in safe controlled environment, helmet, long pants and long shirt, stock belts, some instructors avail., and drive at YOUR pace, come out to Buttonwillow on April 30..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by RC70SCoupe View Post

Sandy, several of us did the High Performance Drivers Ed at CFoS, It was a BLAST.

I fell out due to not having a cage/roll bar and 6 point harness and etc. etc.
    A BIG track like that, BIG BAD things can happen unless you have ALL the precautions.
    Good to hear you guys drove Cal Speedway. What a great facility.

And yes. Safety at high speed is crucial. I had TRE install a bolt-in roll bar, fire extinguisher mount on the bolt-in cross brace, six point harness, and one of their RS drivers seats. Or is it the ST? Not sure. But it works with my 6-point. With it, I can run the POC and PCA Time Trials. And eventually the POC racers clinic.

Have fun at Buttonwillow.

I'm driving to Willow Springs tomorrow before dawn for the POC Triple Crown Weekend. Trying to break a 1:50 in my stock 2 liter E.

I hope I can attend your next race day at Streets. Need the seat time.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Quote Originally Posted by RC70SCoupe View Post
    Milt, we are meeting on Saturday..please spread the word for us...
    sure thing, but where, what time?

breakfast then the track

Milt,
    Sorry for the delays.

We are meeting at the Denny's restaurant:
    715 N MILLIKEN AVE
    ONTARIO,CA 91764 US

at 7:30

From there, caravan to Cal. Speedway.

I NEED to know a number for the corral. S Registry and R Gruppe cars will be combined. Right now, a corral of 4 cars

Remember if we get a group, we can have our own lunch time parade lap session.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255