Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Fog lamp switch

1972 Fog lamp switch

I purchased the generic Hella fog lamp switch with the different colored knob lenses that light up that everyone sells. When I inquired as to the mounting location of this switch and if it will work on my 72 911T, the general consensus was to mount it on the the right side of the dash between the cigarette lighter and the rear defogger switch. I was further told that there was already a rubber plug on the back side of the switch location specifically for this fog lamp switch after the initial drilling to mount the switch. My intention was to perform the fog lamp switch mounting procedure while I popped the windshield and rear glass out to replace the headliner and the dash pad. Once everything was torn down and I had drilled the hole for the switch, I found that the switch housing would not clear the rubber plug opening behind the switch as I was told by the so called experts. Can anyone enlighten me as to the procedure to mount the switch or do I need to acquire the period correct switch? I realize that I can hog out the opening to make the switch housing clear, but I'm looking for other alternatives before proceeding...

I am no expert, but this is a pic from a '73. The fog switch is between the cigarette lighter (right) and rear window defrost (left). In my dash there also is an open blank to the far left of the Fasten Seat Belt light.
    Can't speak to your clearance issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Perhaps that particular "generic" switch won't fit this particular application.

Maybe try an NOS switch?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1972 911S Targa Paint to Sample Cocoa/Tan Leather (# 0836)

Other Early:
    1974 Carrera SR Coupe (USA) GP White/Tan Shetland Cloth/Gold "Carrera" Stripes
    1971 911T Coupe Tangerine/Black (Destroyed in fire at Porsche Shop )
    1968 912 Coupe Irish Green/Black

When In the "Dark" Side:
    1988 944 Turbo S Alpine White/Gray (1 of 481 Turbo S's Imported into USA)
    1991 928GT Guards Red/Spec Order Gray (1 of 85 GT's Imported into USA for 1991)

Current Daily Driver: 2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by 72 S Trga View Post
    Perhaps that particular "generic" switch won't fit this particular application.

Maybe try an NOS switch?
    I'm sure it is the incorrect switch. It looks generically correct and matches the existing knobs, but the housing of the switch isn't even close. This switch is being marketed as the correct replacement switch when it is not. I have yet to find an NOS or good quality used Fog Lamp switch. I thought maybe I was missing something here when installing this switch.

Try any one of these for an original - quiz them well about condition

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...sed+porsche+pa
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Also, the OEM foglight switch was different depending upon if the car had both front and rear fog lights or just the front. If only the front were on the car, then of course, the switch pulled out to turn them on.

If both front and rear are on the car, then the switch also twisted to turn the rear fog light on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Early:

When In the "Dark" Side:

Used Switch

Okay, I just picked up a used 902 613 362 90 Fog Lamp switch off of the Bird for $30. Application is for 72/73 911. Only problem is it is missing the knob. I'm hoping the knob on the switch that I have will interchange. I'll provide some pic differences once I receive the used switch.

Correct Switch

Okay, I finally got the original switch and it did come with the correct knob. The fog lamp switch on the left is an original and the one on the right is the generic Hella Switch, which is advertised as the replacement switch for early 911s. The housing on the replacement switch is rectangular in nature and wont clear the hole behind the dash where the round rubber grommet mounts (shown on the left). Unless you are willing to cut your inner dash to clearance it for the replacement switch, the Hella switch is not a direct replacement as advertised. True once mounted, it will never show, but...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    Okay, I finally got the original switch and it did come with the correct knob. The fog lamp switch on the left is an original and the one on the right is the generic Hella Switch, which is advertised as the replacement switch for early 911s. The housing on the replacement switch is rectangular in nature and wont clear the hole behind the dash where the round rubber grommet mounts (shown on the left). Unless you are willing to cut your inner dash to clearance it for the replacement switch, the Hella switch is not a direct replacement as advertised. True once mounted, it will never show, but...
    I believe the knob/switch on the left is for a 1974 and later car. The 1972 knobs were more rounded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Early:

When In the "Dark" Side:

Are you sure?

You may be right, but the part # is still on the housing and the parts book states that the switch is for a 70-73 911 T, E and S. Probably a different part # for the knob? Although seller stated it was removed from his 1972 T. And it does match my other knobs. With all that said, I am by no means an expert.