Thread: Fuel tank restoration SWB

Fuel tank restoration SWB

What do folks recommend for authentic looking textured under coating and paint when restoring a SWB fuel tank? Manufacturers for both and color/shade/ID number of the latter.

Thanks!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

More than Original
    Wurth SKS Grey, you'll need a splatter gun to apply it. Try a search and you will see a bunch of examples.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    Wurth SKS Grey, you'll need a splatter gun to apply it. Try a search and you will see a bunch of examples.
    I don't know if mid year change or USA/ROW but I have seen 67S's in both black and grey. My 67S is black and I'm certain it is original.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Brett,

Thanks. I did some poking around for SKS Stoneguard by googling and found a couple of threads on Pelican.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...=129719&page=4

Practically speaking is there any real difference in the finish between the specialty gun ($80) applied SKS Stoneguard ($25/liter) and the aerosol can Stone Guard ($15)? No one answered this question on the Pelican thread.

Mark,

Ol' Ivory is an early (mid-Sept. 1966) '67 911S and its undercoated fuel tank is grey. I've owned two '67 912, one Dec. 1966 and both have grey undercoated fuel tanks.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Fuel tank restoration SWB

I'm afraid you'll find that the aerosol just doesn't get it. I even have the expensive $230 gun and it has taken me awhile to find the settings that give the look I want, (but then I'm a slow learner)
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I just tried the Stoneguard in the aerosol can, it's smooth as can be, so it doesn't have the textured finish at all.

More than Original
    The spray undercoatings don't have the build up to replicate SKS. If you want a factory finish use Wurth SKS with a splatter gun. I've used Wurth SKS several times and any splatter gun will do. The pressure is the only difference I've used 40-80 lbs using the 3M gun vs the Wurth. Also for best results use on a warm day and let the bottle get warm in the sun for 20 minutes it will flow better. If it goes on thick just one coat if goes on light a few coats until you get the texture.

Also you can use it on a brush for touch up, just dab it to replicate the texture or better cut up a brush randomly.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L