Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will 912's always be red-headed step child?

Banned

Will 912's always be red-headed step child?

Understanding that this is a 911 board is exactly why I would like opinion from this community. I believe that 911 enthusiasts drive the overall Porsche market but apologize in advance if this is too far off topic. With early 911's still commanding solid prices and cars getting increasingly more difficult to find, is there any hope that 912's will follow? What's a decent 912 actually selling for these days?
    Although I respect everyone's opinion, please don't direct me to the 912 Registry site. That's like asking the current administration for an opinion as to how bright the future looks for the democratic party.

Thanks.

My opinion only... no.

As a 911 owner for 24 years and a 914/914-6 owner for 30 years I've "always" had my eye out for a 912. I came close a number of times and I'm still kicking myself (getting pretty good at it too)

The two that appeal to me are 1.) the last of the longhoods and 2.) the 76 912E. I actually see myself gravitating more toward a very clean 76E. I would say, that would be a hard car to beat as a fuel efficeint, daily driver. A type 4 911 with a 915 (923?) gearbox? Parts still available at obtainable pricing? (most 76 911's are running on 4 cylinders anyway!) I had a chance to purchase a car in San Diego last year for under $10k.

I do believe some nice examples have probably been stepped over in the pursuit of a 911.

Coming back to Salt Lake City this summer?

E.

P.S. I always had this theory; Porsche has been really good about using up excess (major) parts inventory. Think about it; Der 356 has been discontinued. What do we do with all of these engines? Der 914 has been discontinued. What do we do with all of these engines?
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Sticking with the political content, isn't asking this board like asking the Republican party their opinion of how things are going?

Being a member of the opposing party, I believe 912's will continue to lag behind in values to a degree. Some of the top cars have received numbers almost in line with top 911's. Couple factors I've seen for their diminished value. 1: Many more 912's were produced. Supply and demand helps dictates values. Go on Ebay and see the ratio of 912s to 911s. 2: The public associates Porsche with the name 911 and many people have no idea there is a sister car to the early 911s. So brand recognition also suffers. 3: I've maybe seen only two 911's that have been converted over to 912 powerplants and maybe a hundred the other way around. There is a stigma about messing with the flat-6 that isn't totally there with the flat-4. People are throwing Subaru, VW, Buick, electric or whatever else they can fit in the engine bays and creating renegades. This also hurts the values of their cars and helps hold down values of the rest.
    912 prices will rise. The fuel concern sure helped. With people looking for higher mpg, the 912 is a practical alternative. I get a touch shy of 30 in mine on the freeway.
    A nice really nice driver can be had for $15K. I'd say prices are more in line with a 911T.
    Now a word from the opposing party.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Deja-vu

I remember having these exact conversations about Pre-A 356's 25 years ago. I owned a decent original '53 Cabriolet at the time that everyone ribbed me about. Because most people considered them 'glorified Volkswagens', they were cheap and so were abused, wrecked, cut-up for parts for 'A' cars and tossed in the trash. Sounds familiar, right? Not many left anymore. If I had that cab today, I could sell it, pay off my house and retire I wonder how many decent 912's will be left in 25 years...
    JP

My next Porsche will most likely be a SWB 912. I think they are quite a steal in today's market. As someone else already pointed out, the 356 owners also complained of lagging values, but look at their values today.

A 912 with a 120/130 hp would be so much fun and out handle most 911s when setup properly. There is a guy out here with a well sorted 912 that gives all of us 911 owners all we can handle during our mountain runs.

I, for one agree with these posts. 912's are SWB 911's with a bit less power and 300LBS lighter. Why not ? I own a few of these cars and I truely think they're just as much fun to take out of the garage as a 911. After 65MPH, it's a level playing field. Yes, they DO sound a bit different but Sherwood Lee sells a 911 sound machine that makes any car sound like a "flat six" monster.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

There are plenty of 912's I'd love to own.

- painted dash
    - Soft Window Targa

to name but a few...

specific answer

Frank,I sold my 67 912 SWT in 2004 for 23,500 which was expensive then.Even in the current market that would be a bargain.I would pay 30k all day long for a SWT in it`s condition.I wish I had never sold it,but we have all been there.It was more fun than most Porsches I have owned as I was selective as to what I used it for and it was cheap to own by any standard.With the top off and window down here in Tucson,it gave me almost year round ability to drive it that way.Best part was with my Golden Retriever! OK,Jeff,chime in!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Member:S Registry #864

They won't be red-headed stepchildren for long. I have a feeling when the cycle comes around again, the next run-up in prices will carry them up (along with 914's).

I wish I hadn't sold my '69 last year. I think now is a good time to buy. I'm looking for my next one now. A '65-'66 3-guage painted dash is at the top of the list.
    Nate Y
    Early 911S Registry #1232

I don't think anyone knowledgable considers them red headed step children,912s are cool. But if value is part of the question they will always be worth a lot less money than a 911, just as a 289 cobra will always be worth less than a 427.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964