Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cayman S vs. 996 GT3

Cayman S vs. 996 GT3

I have always admired the looks and performance of the first GT3s ever since I saw my first one at the Philadelphia Auto Show in the early 2000s. I recently read an article in GT Purely Porsche about the 10th Anniversary of the "RS in all but name" and I started to ponder the idea of trading my 07 Cayman S for a fine GT3 example. The prices are coming down to such a level it makes them a very good buy.

The delimna -- the Cayman S is a fine performance car as well. What would you do?

I have never driven a GT3 so for those of you that have driven both, I welcome your comparitive comments on driving performance.

If I decide to trade, what little quirks should I look for when shopping to determine if the GT3 has been track-abused or is on its last legs mechanically?
    S Registry #1229
    1972 Light Yellow 911T (RS look currently, ST replica coming)
    1984 Black/Black RoW 930 Turbo
    2004 Black/Black 996 GT3
    1971 Metallic Blue 911T Sunroof Coupe
    2007 Atlas Grey Cayman S (My First)

I had a GT3 in the UK when they first came out -- it was very low (euro spec) and I constantly had to worry about damaging the underside. Fantastic car and wonderful to drive but I never tracked it before I got an offer I could not refuse (it got turned into the GT3R look alike - 911 Porsche World did articles). I have a Cayman S for day to day driving now and this is spectacular for this purpose, I'm looking forward to tracking this as the balance is so good.

What are your intentions - mainly tracking, mainly road use that will determine it for me.

If you can go for both - best solution by far
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

I would keep the Cayman and have either Farbacher or Ruf stuff a 3.8 in there. You would have the versatility of the Cayman and be able to hang with the GT3's at the track. Best of both worlds in one car.

GT3 no question...... not even close!
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

GT3!!!!!!! Raw , yet refined. I could drive it every day. At the prices you can get them for now, they are a great deal too!!! The Cayman has a lot of depreciation left, GT3......probably not.
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

I vote GT3 as well. I've driven both - no comparison.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

I have driven 4 Cayman S cars, and zero GT3s. The Cayman S handling is very neutral, which is not so (I understand) with the GT3. We have had numerous off track excursions at ORPCA track days with 996 GT3 drivers of all skill levels, and we have had some of them occur at high speed resulting in total loss of the car (one even happened at an Autocross, where a Corvette driver and a GT3 driver swapped cars for the last run of the day, and the Vette driver lost it into some parked cars). Our High Performance Drivers Ed chair feels that it is because the 996 GT3 is not intended to be forgiving, but rather is set up to be a very precise track instrument. So, to echo the comment above, it probably depends on what you intend to do, and whether you like the neutrality of the mid engined chassis or the precision of the GT3.
    Brad Larson
    67 Soft Window S - Polo Red
    00 Boxster S - Speed Yellow

Jason,

What mods, if any, have you done to your Cayman? When I had mine I installed a Tubi exhaust, modified the air box by taking out the restrictor plate, ECU chip, and H&R springs. All relatively inexpensive and easy upgrades that simply transformed the car. The mid engine layout makes the Cayman a potentially superior car compared to the 911 just by design. Before you take it in the axx monetarily, spend $3,500 - 4,000.00 in the upgrades I just listed. You can always remove them and sell them off the car if you later decide to try the GT3.

Hello All,
    Thank you for the responses thus far, they have been great.

John, so far with the Cayman S, I have done much of the same as you with the springs being the biggest mod (mainly for cosmetic reasons to get the car down off the stilts).

I have not tracked the Cayman and dont plan to do much. I am not opposed to track days but I know how I get when I start something and I know how I am when speed is involved. I loved racing go-karts years ago but I know this isnt the same thing. Basically, I have too many damn hobbies right now as it is and really dont want to get another "addiction."

So, I would say the car would be mainly used for touring, which I know is not the purpose of the GT3 and possibly a waste. I know the Cayman is superior when it comes to set-up with the mid-engine design. But the argument of serious depreciation in the Cayman is what started this whole thing (and the fact that I have always admired the GT3 in both looks and performance) -- also I am tired of taking it up the axx monetarily (as John put it) this year and I know our current friends in DC are going to keep on shoving it in me.

I would love to have both, but with a 2-car garage, a Cayman, 71 911 and a desire to acquire another early 911 (SWB) (and not sure where I am going to put that one yet), I think that is not in the cards for me right now.
    S Registry #1229
    1972 Light Yellow 911T (RS look currently, ST replica coming)
    1984 Black/Black RoW 930 Turbo
    2004 Black/Black 996 GT3
    1971 Metallic Blue 911T Sunroof Coupe
    2007 Atlas Grey Cayman S (My First)

Blue light special Auction style....

Latest gt3 auction info;

3/19 29.8k miles @ $45,000.
    2/26 46k miles @ $44,100
    2/12 18.5k miles @ $50,000
    2/04 45k miles @ 43,500.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"