Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready for paint, final deatils?

Ready for paint, final deatils?

I’m in the process of getting ready for paint. All the bodywork is done and the car is in the final stage of preparation before paint.
    I would like to have all details period correctly done.

The car is going to be painted in it’s original color; Light Ivory (Hell Elfenbein), color code 6604.
    The car is a 65 build, 66 model year with 4 screw horn grilles.

I already found a lot of details and information but still have some questions or things that I’m not sure of;

- The body will be painted inside and outside, after paint undercoating will be applied to the wheel wells and underside. After undercoating these areas will be sprayed satin black. Correct?

- The area where the engine grill is mounted on the deck lid will also be satin black

- The complete inside of the engine room will be satin black, including the hinges. Is there undercoating applied to the engine room or just paint?

- The complete inside of the trunk will be satin black, including the hinges. Is there also undercoating applied to the inside of the bonnet?

- The front cowl area where the fresh air inlet is attached should be satin black. Applied with a brush?

- What about the area behind the horn grilles? Body color or also satin black?

- The inside of the car, I’ve found multiple pics of cars that are completely painted black on the inside but also a lot of cars that only have black paint around the edges and corners. What is correct or does this depend on build date?

- The inside edges of the doors going to be satin black

Hope someone could shine some light on this. Thanks in advance!
    Early 911S registry member #1391
    Built '65, MY66 911 in total restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Semjon View Post
    I’m in the process of getting ready for paint. All the bodywork is done and the car is in the final stage of preparation before paint.
    I would like to have all details period correctly done.

The car is going to be painted in it’s original color; Light Ivory (Hell Elfenbein), color code 6604.
    The car is a 65 build, 66 model year with 4 screw horn grilles.

I already found a lot of details and information but still have some questions or things that I’m not sure of;

- The body will be painted inside and outside, after paint undercoating will be applied to the wheel wells and underside. After undercoating these areas will be sprayed satin black. Correct?

- The area where the engine grill is mounted on the deck lid will also be satin black

- The complete inside of the engine room will be satin black, including the hinges. Is there undercoating applied to the engine room or just paint?

- The complete inside of the trunk will be satin black, including the hinges. Is there also undercoating applied to the inside of the bonnet?

- The front cowl area where the fresh air inlet is attached should be satin black. Applied with a brush?

- What about the area behind the horn grilles? Body color or also satin black?

- The inside of the car, I’ve found multiple pics of cars that are completely painted black on the inside but also a lot of cars that only have black paint around the edges and corners. What is correct or does this depend on build date?

- The inside edges of the doors going to be satin black

Hope someone could shine some light on this. Thanks in advance!
    Hell Elfenbein, good! Single stage or basecoat/clearcoat? Single stage is correct, but it's pretty hard to find it in the right colors these days. Basecoat/clearcoat is the modern equivalent and will look incredible, but won't be original.

Usually you just shoot Wurth SKS undercoat which is already black, it's kind of blue (a miles davis reference) when it goes on. Be careful to practice first so you can replicate the factory buildup. I would not shoot satin over the top.

Dash and dash top satin black, around the seat tracks, down the center tunnel, down to the floor in front behind the pedal boards. I've never seen an interior that didn't have either rust or horsehair pads in the floor, so I don't know if the floor was black, but I sort of doubt it given the rust I've seen on every car I've looked at. The seat pans and up inside the roof, body color overspray. Bottoms of the doors also satin, where the door panel reveals the metal of the door. (this is left off a LOT of cars) Nobody will see if you do too much black.

Behind the fresh air vent, inside the engine lid grille opening, both black. Probably a brush as you say, albeit precisely so. Back of the front and rear bumpers is body color, I don't think there is any black behind the horngrills.

Good luck!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Hi John, thanks for your reply!
    I know single coat is original.. still in doubt. Indeed very difficult to find and not a lot of painters who know how to apply it correctly.

Thanks for the answers, they really help a lot!
    The use of Wurth is a good tip.

Will post some pics of the whole proces in a couple of days/week.

Thanks!

What I have found is: the inside of the horn grills is also black. And the underside of the front hood was undercoated first(just the flat part), then painted body color. Also, the inside of the engine room is undercoated, but only on the hard surface.

Everything else sounds good.

Can't wait for photos!

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

So the inside of the fender where the horn grille is attached should also be black? Thanks for the tip! Also on the undercoating.
    Nice to have all the details correct

Good luck,

John
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    Great pic of the 914-6 GT , John !

Love the look....will it be at Parade in Keystone ?
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

No mister Green,

We will be, but not the car...getting it ready for Monterey. If we get in?

You never know until the last minute.

John

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Update :)

The prep work is done and the inside is already painted (Light Ivory, the black will follow later)
    Body is expect back tomorrow...

More pics will follow!

Freshly painted!