Thread: Oil Line Rebuilder

Oil Line Rebuilder

On my 69S, one of the lines from the thermostat has started to leak in the flexible portion. Is anyone aware of where I can get this rebuilt? I'd like to retain the original hose hardware with date stamps.
    Jim Lonsdale
    Member #80
    60 356 Coupe (First Car $400!)
    61 356 Coupe (Gone)
    62 356 Cabriolet (Gone)
    69 911 S
    70 914-6 (Gone)
    70 911S (Gone)

This one isn't as hard as it seems. Use a local hydraulics hose place. They can reuse your ends and install new hose. The trick is to use quality hose. Take the time to have it ordered or your lines will look like the cheap repops. Stress how the lines are irreplaceable ( ) and how the engine will blow up if they screw it up.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Hi Jim,

I can help you with either the crimped line or the aluminum collar serviceable ends. Is your hose steel braided on the outside or just rubber? Cohline still sells both. The plain rubber hose no longer has the wrapped look which was from a wrap curing process now the look is just smooth. I have a good supply of the braided hose. Here is what it looks like with the aluminum collar ends. Attached is another picture of crimped ends using the correct factory Cohline crimper. Cohline and Techno Chemie were the original hose suppliers to Porsche.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
    Hi Jim,

I can help you with either the crimped line or the aluminum collar serviceable ends. Is your hose steel braided on the outside or just rubber? Cohline still sells both. The plain rubber hose no longer has the wrapped look which was from a wrap curing process now the look is just smooth. I have a good supply of the braided hose. Here is what it looks like with the aluminum collar ends. Attached is another picture of crimped ends using the correct factory Cohline crimper. Cohline and Techno Chemie were the original hose suppliers to Porsche.
    Very nice Brad. Are you crimping these yourself, and if so, what does the Cohline Crimper look like?

6?' 303129

Brad:

The hoses in question are the aluminum collar type with the black hose. Do you have a phone number I can contact you at for more information? Thanks
    Jim Lonsdale
    Member #80
    61 356 Coupe (Gone)
    62 356 Cabriolet (Gone)
    69 911 S
    70 914-6 (Gone)
    70 911S (Gone)

Hi Jim,

Please feel free to call when you get a chance. My phone number is
    (949) 266-4205.

Jon,

Here are a few pictures of the Cohline crimper. It is a nice tool to have and allows crimps for small things like cam oil lines and fuel lines all the way up to the large oil lines.

I have made up a few sets of the early style cam oil lines with Cohline's braided hose. I am not sure when they went to the rubber lines. I know Cohline stopped making these braided cam lines quite some time ago possibly in the early 70's. If anyone is interested in a set please let me know.

Thanks - Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Very nice! Thanks for posting the pictures Brad.

6?' 303129

Thumbs up

As a followup, I'd just like to give Brad Davis a big THANKS for the help he provided to my lines back in service. He found the new hose that was in the original style and worked over the Memorial Day holiday to get them rebuilt. Real reasonable price. They were cleaned up and ready to go when I got them and now they are back in the car with no leaks. Another success story from this Board.
    Jim Lonsdale
    Member #80
    61 356 Coupe (Gone)
    62 356 Cabriolet (Gone)
    69 911 S
    70 914-6 (Gone)
    70 911S (Gone)

Thanks, Jim.

I enjoyed rebuilding your oil lines. I hope there are plenty of good weather days for summer driving!

Best regards,

Brad