Thread: Correct Muffler for '73

Correct Muffler for '73

I'm new to the list here, but not new to my 1973.5 911T. I've owned it for 21 years. Though in just paging through some of the threads here, a picture of my car actually came up!

Here it is:

That's original paint, actually.

It still has the original engine, etc., just successfully rebuilt by Schneider Autohaus in Santa Barbara, after two other mechanics with two rebuilds didn't work.

Here's my current question I'm hoping for some insight on.

Many years ago, I had to have the muffler replaced. The only detail I know for sure is that they told me they could not get the chrome tip and it had to be black. I've lived with it fine for the last 18 years - and it certainly matched the 73 black grille and bumpers. But, now I see that chrome tips are available and ordered one. But, I think I ordered the wrong one.

I got it from Performance. They had one short one with square cuts, and one longer one with an angled cut (angled on the side that goes on the muffler first). The angled one is the one shown for 65-73. But, of course after ordering it, I got around to looking at my car and found the one on my car is square cut, and I'm not even sure how anything longer would fit on.

I don't know if the angled one would even fit. I don't know if the mufflers are different. The guys at Performance insisted that the 74 and later mufflers would not even fit on my car as the cut out in the lower bumper for the muffler is in a different spot.

Anyone been through this before?

I have looked at countless pictures on the internet and it hasn't cleared anything up. One thing I did notice is that the pipe on mine, while it goes through the stock cut out, seems to angle more to the outside while some in the pictures seemed to go straight out.

What did '73 look like? Was there a difference for 73.5?

Thanks.

Hi Jay.

I'm original owner of a 73.5 T, and I've just replaced the original muffler. The original very definitely had the longer angle-cut chrome tip, but the new muffler has come with the shorter square-cut tip. The difference is driving me nuts. Thankfully, I noticed in time to grab the longer angle-cut tip off the old muffler before they canned the thing, so I can swap them out.

Hope that helps.

Mike

I bought one of the longer angle-cut tips from Zim's Autotechnik a couple of weeks ago for my '68 Leistritz muffler. They're reproductions, but fit just fine. And they're cheap at $19.95. Link is here.
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461

Leistritz muffler, angle cut tip with square edged lip.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Muffler Tips

The angle of the exhaust tip for the pre '74 cars was different than the '74. This change was to accomodate the different bumper and lower skirt of the later car. The '74 muffler is a one year model for the USA cars since in '75 the emission system requirements changed the design of the muffler. In any event the muffler tip outlet diameter is slightly larger with the replacement Dansk than the original Leistritz and the chrome angled tip will not fit on the Dansk without modifying the muffler outlet. There are three designs for the angled tips. The original had a square bead on the outlet end that was thin compared to a second one that has a thicker square bead and seems to be more readily available now (it may even be one of the newer factory reissued parts for the early 911) and the third is a reproduction that everyone sells and has a rolled bead on the end (it is the one that is mentioned in one of the posts that is available at Zim's for $19.95). I do not know if this reproduction is made in the original diameter muffler or for the larger diameter replacement. If you can get one of the original tips it still can be fitted to the later Dansk muffler by cutting slots out of the muffler outlet, squeezing the outlet down to a slightly smaller size and driving the chrome tip on carefully so as to not damage it. The non angled style has always been a reproduction if it is chrome. The factory did have a square cut tip that was black anodized for the '74 911's that came with black anodized window trim (mostly Carrera's) and it is the smaller diameter type that fit only original mufflers. The thin square styled chrome outlet tip is a coveted piece for the early 911 restorer and if you can find a good one lends a nice touch of originality even to a replacement Dansk muffler.

Wow, great responses!

My muffler was replaced around 1989. I don't know what was used. If I slide under the car, will I see the Leistriz stamp somewhere? I remember when I got the OEM replacement for my 356, it was stamped, but I think it wasn't visable once the muffler was on the car.

Assuming that mine has the right pipe OD for the correct chrome angled end, where does the tip of the angle go around the circumference? I'm assuming near 7:00. And is it shoved on all the way until it is wedged into the bend of the pipe coming out?