Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: German market 1970S predated 73RS concept ?

German market 1970S predated 73RS concept ?

Recently I read an unique german Porsche test report - published in april 1970 - portraying the 2.2litre models.

They quote that "the 1970 911S was german delivered in standard version as a
    -sport-911S including Recaro buckets, pull straps on door panels, lightweight bumpers, 110l tank w center fill, no rear scripts, spacesaver spare etc.
    It also could be ordered with a special "comfort" equippement “similar to the 911E” including radio etc.
    The test also states the 911S was planned as a competition car while 911T and 911E would be for a larger export client base".
    -
    While Piech could not push the 1968 911R behond a race car homologation as he wished for, the 1970 911S would be based on a new idea :
    *911S "comfort-E"
    *911S "sport-S"
    *911S "GT4 / S/T"
    This would predate the 1973RS concept with touring, light and homologation cars since it was already thought out in late 1969.
    Shure the 73RS was another car with larger 2.7l engine, ducktail and larger rear wheels but almost everything else was around for sale on a standard 1970 911S, three years before.
    -
    Comments on this board refer this white 911 always as a base for S/T models but maybe it was not but rather a german 1970 911S in its standard -sport-version for sale at 28'749 Deutschmark !

Interior shot, most likely from a late MY69 prototype model.
    No glovebox and no radio.

Most likely red 911S which interior we see above, MY69.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 07-02-2011 at 12:27 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Homologation 1970S lightweight

Karim:

Interesting article!

The lightweight version of the 70S was catalogued for the German domestic market only and was the basis for the FIA homologation weight of 978 KG.

There is a paragraph in Ludvigsen's Excellence Was Expected which describes the background of the factory's decision to build the car and its lightweight specifications. As you rightly point out, the simplified door panels of the RS were just another bit out of the existing parts bin left over from the German market base S.

In order to order the 70S to this specification, one would have checked the box for Option Code M470 delete, which left off most of the standard road going equipment.

Other details carried over to the RS L include the deletion of the glove box door and passenger sun visor. However, unlike the RS L, the standard clock remained.
    These cars had front and rear bumpers in ALU in addition to the ALU engine lid and license panel.

That is the first interior photo of the lightweight S that I have seen. Thanks for posting. Are there any other pics in the article?

Tom
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Karim

The other interesting feature on the exterior shot is the chrome end caps on the rear bumper-which i have not seen any real car-other than the similar brochure with the 3 white cars.

Raj
    Like you, I have only seen that feature, i.e. the capped off inside end of the rear bumpers on the above brochure ( I have the italian version ), and then rememberered seeing one other car with the alum. bumper caps.....the tangerine # 3 prototype shown in the attached photo. Mind you, that car predates the production R run and certainly the 2.2. litre '70 series cars shown in the brochure.

I am also wondering how the central license plate panel is fastened to the car, since the bumper brackets normally used to hold panel & bumper guards have been filled in and smoothed over.

Sure would like to see how that arrangement works.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Interior door openers

Those door openers are definitely from a VW. Great idea !
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

I believe the car pictured by the OP is a preproduction '70 911S(T) - much like the pre-production '73 911 (R)S 2.7. I've had the German edition of this 10/69 brochure for many years (Das Porsche 911 Konzept). The accountants most like did not sign off on the 911 S(T) concept any more than they signed off on the '73 911S 2.7. Too bad, would have been a cool production series car!
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

.... Recently I read an unique german Porsche test report - published in april 1970 - portraying the 2.2litre models. ....

Karim,
    Are you able to scan this for us ?
    My German isn't the best but the pics should be great !!

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Thanks guys, great infos.

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    I've had the German edition of this 10/69 brochure.
    Yes. The 1971 brochure version is similar but the group shot of 3 white cars and interior is gone and replaced by standard cars.
    So far I found only one interior shot, pictured above.

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    The accountants most like did not sign off on the 911 S(T) concept any more than they signed off on the '73 911S 2.7. Too bad, would have been a cool production series car!
    Being published in april 1970 I beleive the car WAS definitly on the market and not just a pre-production run.
    It might was not ordered often.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-21-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by Flunder View Post
    In order to order the 70S to this specification, one would have checked the box for Option Code M470 delete, which left off most of the standard road going equipment.
    Tom
    Tom, what is interesting is that the german test clearly states Option M470 was a "Sonderausstattung"
    (i.e. special equipment) for a German 911S, to be ordered in addition/optional.
    Therefore its not "Option Code M470 delete" but it was special order.

The German market 1970S was for sale in standard version as a stripped down "sport" street version.
    As stated above, this idea was abandoned in 1971, most likely due to the economic recession in Germany
    but renewed for the 1973 RS Carerra as a limited edition model.
    -

This car might be red. Features different Fuchs wheel treatment than above pictured Tangerine/blutorange car.
    Published in Ludvigsen's book too.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-21-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Registered User parced@telia.co's Avatar
    Way back I tried to find info about this lwt S. If remember correctly Josh Sadler had also done some research. He had seen one in person and believed that just 6 or 7 was actually ordered that way.

A real cool car!

this looks like the same car Karim has posted and the photo taken at the same time

i have always had it recorded as a 1970 factory lightweight S, the possible homologation base for the SR's
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776