Thread: All of Us Can Help One of Our Own

Smile All of Us Can Help One of Our Own

For those of you not aware, a long standing member of the Porsche community, and the historic Porsche racing community has incurred a terrible tragedy. Bernie Buschen’s son, Scott (26) was severely burned over 40% of his body and remains in the burn unit at Harborview Hospital in Seattle. Scott was working in his father’s shop on a customer car when a flash fire occurred severely burning Scott’s arms and legs. His anticipated recovery time is over a year. The good news is that Scott is anticipated to recover fully, the bad news is the medical, physical therapy, and ongoing bills associated with his recovery. There is no way that the state insurance will cover all of Scott’s astronomical medical bills.

As concerned members of the Porsche community, I would like to ask you to please make as substantial a monetary contribution as you can. If you can not manage a large contribution, please give what you can.

What makes the Porsche community so great is the way we all pull together when one of our own is in need. Scott is in need, and deservers your support. Please see this link for contribution details http://supportscott.com/default.aspx

Thank you (Please stikey)
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Link Fixed! Please try again

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Rick,

Is there any update on Scott's condition ?

My contribution is on it's way.....

Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

From Bernie last Friday:
    Quote Originally Posted by bernieb
    Scott continues to do well, in fact yesterday he took his first unassisted steps. Another milestone on his road to recovery. Physically and mentally he is doing very well and continues to impress the doctors and nurses. The ICU nurses call Scott their “Miracle Patient” and have come down to the 8th floor to visit from time to time, maybe next week we can go up to the 9th floor for a surprise visit. This is kind of a bitter sweet situation, the physical therapist tells us he will be ready to come home in the next day or so, but the doctors say his wound care is still requires him to remain in the hospital for a while. Visiting is O.K; he is in the East Wing 8th Floor Burn Unit, Room #805 Bed 2.

On another note, it appears that the flyer that was made up for Scott’s medical beneficiary account has some incomplete information. While a donation can be “Dropped Off” at my wife’s store, The River’s Edge in Fall City, there is no mail delivery to that address. If you would like to mail a donation to Scott directly please send it to our home.

Scott Buschen
    5357-347th PL SE
    Fall City, WA 98024

Otherwise, you can still make a deposit at any Bank of America branch or thru PayPal as per the flyer.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Mine is on the way too. I suffered 3rd degree burns about 25 years ago -- no fun.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

The latest update from Bernie

Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:38 PM

On Saturday evening I was writing about Scott being discharged from Harborview and coming home on Friday afternoon, everything was going well. Then I took a break in order to do his wound care and we found the infection on his back had grown significantly. We immediately took him back to the emergency ward at Harborview to have the infection evaluated. To make a very long story short he was admitted at 3:00am to do a culture and for observation. While the donor site is proving to be a challenge, the doctors and nurses tell us his skin grafts are doing amazingly well. His hands and the grafts on his arms are almost seamless, only the skin pigment defines the grafts. His legs are also coming along very well, the open areas and swelling are getting noticeably smaller by the day and his physical therapy is doing wonders for his flexibility and walking. So after adjusting his antibiotic medication (three times) we seem to have the infection under control and he is home once again. Today has been a good day.

So, as far as the shop is concerned, it is no secret that my insurance company has denied my claim due to a technicality in my policy. After a lot of help from friends, neighbors and R Gruppe members we have about 2/3rds. of the shop workable (not pretty but workable). I will be starting up later this week, and a big THANK-YOU to all who have helped me get back on my feet and remain committed to me.

It will still be a long road for Scott and take a while to get the shop running properly again; I look forward to having my son and partner working with me again. I once again would like to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and help.

Bernie