Thread: mfi issues in new york

mfi issues in new york

I have my S for five years now and love it. I keep bringing it to my mechanic to tune the MFI system and it is never right. The bill is though!!

Does anyone know a mechanic in NY that knows MFI. Any recommendations other than Rennwerke would be greatly appreciated.

I have to get this right as I cannot fully enjoy the car without the proper MFI tuning.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

FWIW:

It should be "set it and forget" it if it's done right. If the system is worn out (throttle shafts, butterflys, etc.) you'll need it rebuilt.

IF the rest of the engine is in perfect running order (compression/leak down) and ignition, this will be the next step.
    Matt Blast (Eurometrics) can do the throttle bodies, etc. and there are a number of sources for the pump assembly.

It will never run properly if it's not set up properly. Dumb as it sounds this system is a bit more complicated than carburetors and one of the reasons many of us took them off in the 70's/80's and put PMO on the map. In good working order it is a very nice system.

There are copies of the Porsche MFI book floating around. You might have a go yourself or at least become acquainted with the system.

Good luck,

Tom

PS:
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

D,

PM sent.

-
    Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914

Thanks Tom and Steve:

With that advice, I want to get everything looked at, including the MFI. It could be advance on the disrtibutor or something else.

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

I just went through some MFI woes. I did most of the work myself, but I did have some help from a mechanic who knows p cars fairly well. He never worked on an MFI system before.

There are awesome resources on the web, and once you get it, it is not all that hard. This is a physical system, and It does have its sweet spot. Outside of that spot, you will know pretty quickly. I don;t know how mechanically inclined you are. I will be willing to point you to some of the resources I used to figure this stuff out.

the fisrt think I would do to learn about a MFI system is learn about the pump. Do a google search on Porsche MFI open heart surgery. That will tell you how the pump works. There are several diffeerent system in there. then immedialy go the the Check measure adjust, and work your way through that. Learn about each system as you work on the sytem. The pump is actually the last thing in the CMA, but you do need to know what it is doing before you begin. The process will involve many interations, and readjustments.

It is a very cool system, and once set, it is awesome. You could also make life simpler and go with the PMO efi system, but that will set you back about 4 grand, but it does look nice......

Eurometrix is in MA i think.... they appear to do good work, but I have not used them. I used sipertec for my mfi stuff, Mice guys and they were very helpfl, and they stood by their work when something was not quite right. Most of these guys are going to charge you a pretty penny for this work.
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278