Thread: Ah how nice, no more play in my steering wheel!

Ah how nice, no more play in my steering wheel!

Had the ever common up/down play in my steering wheel and have long known it was likely due to a missing metal 'shim'. Well last night i finally decided to install the Prototipo i've been hiding in my office for 2 months and in the process see if i could fix the play.

Good as gold! Sure enough after pulling the hub the little spacer thingy had been left out (was still attached to the original wheel). Put it on per the attached picture (spring/spacer pic is one i found on pelican as i didn't take a pic) and after tightening the big nut all is well in the world.

How nice to have a rock solid wheel!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Erik,
    If you should decide to make any additional sleeves I'd like one for my 73
    Mark

Erik,

You sonuvabeech!! I have had the same issue with my Proto since day 1 and resolved it would have to be lived with. After seeing your pics, I checked the back of my stock steering wheel and shazam - there is the clip and spring. It may not be the cure for the common cold, but oh happy day!

Muchos Gracias!
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

I guess when many folks replace the OE wheel they either don't see the clip/spring OR they have no idea what purpose it serves and just leave it out. Certainly isn't terribly intuitive when you look at it.

Mark i didn't make the part but i'll keep an eye out at Hershey. I think it would be a rather complex part to make because of the taper.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

spring and spacer.

I think these are available from Porsche parts. check Stoddards or the usual vendors. If desperate I have seen them on Ebarf.

cheers
    Scooter

Agreed - made a huge difference when I finally found and installed one on my car. These "cup washers/spacers" can be used on the old solid Momo hubs, Raid hubs, and of course stock wheels.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by 71six View Post
    Erik,
    If you should decide to make any additional sleeves I'd like one for my 73
    Mark
    I have new factory ones here, if that helps,...
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Did this last year, my OEM plastic wheel had the spring but no spacer. Got the spacer from EASY, installed it, and play is gone!