Thread: Wheel fit question.

Wheel fit question.

Does a 15x7 with 4.75 inch backspace fit the rear of a '73 without rubbing the fenders? Running 205/60-15 rubber.
    Thanks,
    Gary
    '73 T 2.7RS spec.

Regis turd ab user
    It's not as simple as that, there many variables involved.
    Ride height, spring rate and shocks, tire brands within a 205/60 size will have different profiles, some are square shouldered and some are rounded.

My late '73 15x7 Fuchs with a 4.9" backspace and 205/60 BFG G Force Sports will rub on the rear of my '71 under hard accelleration and cornering. I have stock torsion bars and Bilstein HD shocks and have gone back to 185/70's on deep sixes.

I am planning to upgrade my torsion bars in the future and try again, also every car is built a little bit different and over time things change with how a car sits and reacts even if yours was set at the same height and had similar suspension as mine it might work.

205/60's fit 7" wheels very well and many people use them.

David

David is quite correct on all fronts. My 73 is lowered to euro-ride height, has a reasonably fresh suspension, and has oversized T-bars front and rear. When I had 205-60-15s on 7s I had issues with Dunlaps being cut by the fender lip as well as rubbing on the inside of one fender during hard cornering. With the move to 205/55 Bridgestones, both were resolved. Tire height and tire tread dimension made all the difference.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Ok, Thanks!! Good info, I guess I will have to just try it out and see what happens.
    '73 T 2.7RS spec.

I have a 73 with 15X7 rims and 205-60's my new falkens clear the old tires of the same size rubbed very slightly on the lip. I happened to be discussing fitment with an expert this week and he indicated at the size limits every car is slightly different so it is just fluke that they clear on my car. On his 73 for example the same set up cleared on one side only.

My car has a slightly stuffed look - which is a preference thing.

So it may fit - how's that for not very helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm going for the same setup but my car does not have rear sway bars so I'm guessing will be a problem right?