Thread: How do I re-chrome my turnsignal plastic lenses?

How do I re-chrome my turnsignal plastic lenses?

Hi all!

I know I've read something about this in here, in the past... but I've now searched the forum with no results, so here it goes again:
    - How do I re-chrome my 70S rear turnsignal plastic lenses?

They still look fine, no cracks. I gave them a good polish (yes, just found out it works with plastic as well!) and I was thinking of re-chroming the frames myself. I've tried some "chrome-look" spray cans, but the chrome effect just takes place on the outside surface – that has contact to air – and not on the inside, where I (we all, I presume!) need it to be.

I've hard of some paint used on model kits (radio controlled ones, with clear plastic shells which have to be painted from the inside), but my local shop never heard of it...

Any thoughts you guys would like to share please?
    Thanks in advance!
    Vasco Ricardo

"I spent a lot of money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest I squandered." - George Best
    ------------
    Early 911S Registry member #1067
    RGruppe member #609

I would be interested in this too Vasco. I saw that thread above when it was "live", but nothing was ever determined to be successful.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

the above two processes linked won't work, they're coating the entire piece with chrome.
    its true immersion plating.
    to plate plastic they use vacuum deposition, and they can mask off the transparent portion of the lens.
    sadly, something that cannot be replicated at home.
    see here: http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/
    they have a $100 dollar minimum. so i question cost effectiveness.
    the closest i've come is to remove all traces of old paint and plating.
    then i use aluminum weld through paint (bloxide).
    it comes close but isn't reflective like real chrome, more a satin silver finish.
    you probably will have to buy new (or good used) to get what you want.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Hey everyone (hi Scott!)!

This is just to let you know that I've just tried the "Lexanspray MC2 Real Chrome" and the finish is NOT chrome... looks more like an aluminum finish through the plastic.
    So we just have to keep looking...!
    Vasco Ricardo

"I spent a lot of money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest I squandered." - George Best
    ------------
    RGruppe member #609

Possible solution

I am an artist and mural painter, I do a great deal of high end decorative painting and special paint finishing www.appliedartstudios.com
    I think the best and most effective do it yourself process for this would be to use aluminium "imitation" silver leaf. You would have to size the surface in a very smooth coat and apply the silver leaf and rub the excess off, (burnishing the surface). A possible and final lacquer coat on the material after-ward. The reflective quality is excellent and it is fairly cheap.
    http://www.gildedplanet.com/aluminumleaf.asp

Powder chrome

Quote Originally Posted by vricardo View Post
    Hey everyone (hi Scott!)!

This is just to let you know that I've just tried the "Lexanspray MC2 Real Chrome" and the finish is NOT chrome... looks more like an aluminum finish through the plastic.
    So we just have to keep looking...!
    Find a powder coating job shop near you. If they do wheels or other chrome looking products, they will have a powder chroming device. This process works perfect. Good Luck !
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

powder coating lens trim

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    Find a powder coating job shop near you. If they do wheels or other chrome looking products, they will have a powder chroming device. This process works perfect. Good Luck !

Powder coating is a powdered epoxy that is cured (melted) at 390F. Works on metals, not so much on plastics, which typically won't stand up to the high temps.

PS: I tried most of the things above.....much suckage.....finally sprung for some new Bosch units. I do like the silver leaf idea. I also keep hearing that the RC car folks have paints that are designed to show thru the plastic RC car bodies.

regards,
    al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

That's what I thought a bout powder coating.

The "Lexanspray MC2 Real Chrome" is one of the paints that are designed to show thru the plastic RC car bodies...
    Vasco Ricardo

------------
    RGruppe member #609