Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Restore a Pitted Headlight Lens?

How to Restore a Pitted Headlight Lens?

I have a set of SWB Hella headlight lenses that I need to restore. They have been "sandblasted" by the many miles on the road over the years. No really large pits, just lots of little ones. I am sure someone here has restored these and can share their experiences. I was planning on sanding them with 400 grit sandpaper, subsequently moving to finer and finer grit, and then finishing off with one or two grades of polishing compound.

Is this the correct method that others have tried or are pitted glass lenses unrestorable? Thanks.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Glass Polishing

Early S Registry #1227
    912 Registry
    PCA - Sequoia Region

You can use those glass polishing kits which will help, but you will never get all the pits out no matter how hard you try. But you can make it look better with the kit.

Thanks guys. That is kind of how I thought the process would work. I'll give it a try and post results.

Hey Mike, I had the 71 out today for the first time this season. Drove right by your house (well sort of) Gotta get together this season.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

You did Scott? Cool I am jealous.

My '68 is still missing engine, trans and rear suspension, but it's rapidly going back together, should be done by end of month. Rebuilt carbs, rebuilt disty, new TO bearing, tons of new little parts, reundercoated, repainted bits...should drive even better this year!

My '68 wants to stretch it's legs and DRIVE!

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Scott-
    Did you have any luck with this?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Good question...has anyone tried this?

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Scott, I sanded one lens with 240 and then 400 grit sandpaper, then tried polishing with compound I use in the detail business. No joy! I did some research on the Eastwood products and all I found were so so reviews. I decided to save my $$ and buy new repros. Maybe I will give it another try this w/e. If I have any success, I will report back.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Scott-
    The research I did found someone recommending starting with 600 and going finer from there. Here is a link that shows them claiming success:

http://volvospeed.com/Mods/glass_polishing.html

Perhaps 400 is too coarse to polish out? He was pretty specific about the polising compound used, also.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab