Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need urgent help identifying this car!

Need urgent help identifying this car!

I'm a new member on this forum, but I have been a part of the Porsche family for many years. I've done some searches on the questions I have but I wanted to get some more experienced opinions. I went to look at a car today that was listed as a 1966 911 (maybe S.) The front ID plate does not have an "S" under the type, but in the other type box it has 911, S, 66. The motor # is 6202194. My understanding is this would be an '70 E motor. Is that correct? He did mention he had a box of cylinders and other parts at his other house that had the # 64 in them. It had a 911 S decklid (easy to change), the tach showed a lower redline than I've seen for an "S", and I didn't see anything else that may tell me what it is. Overall the interior is pretty decent but the body is showing some rot in the jack ports, the bottom of the doors, and it is just starting to creep into the sills. The battery tray is rusted as most of the front trunk too. Some rust showing on the underside of the pan. Last registered in '84, the motor quit on them and they have stored it since then. Doesn't turn freely. Has Webbers. Originally black, but it is a repaint. Car was lightly hit left rear but repaired many years ago. Body showed minor damage on most panels. Front apron was damaged from moving the car. No sunroof. Fuchs wheels. Car was essentially complete.

So....what is it? What are peoples thoughts on it's value? If it is an "S", I'd like to move on it. My guess is that it is a non-S, but the 911,s,66 tag is throwing me for a loop.

Thank you!--Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images      

More pictures

More pics.

Quote Originally Posted by orange911 View Post
    Not sure what the "911~~~~s 66" part of the tag is, but I am pretty certain that is not for an "S" designation.

The motor is for a 2.2 E and is also for sportmatic transmission.

Knowing there is rust that you can see, I would say the value is probably less than $10k unless you find the right motor. All i all the car seems to be complete on the inside from what I can tell.
    Thank you for the initial thoughts! I'll try and post some more interior pics.

Interior pics.

edit

I had to delete my last message because I just saw the chassis number. This is the 430th 911 made. It was actually a 65 MY that was produced between January and July of 1965.

With that information, I would be willing to go higher on that basis alone, but would be scared to tell you how high. Still has motor missing and finding a 901/01 motor may be a challenge even if the S/N is not right.

Still not an S. You should get the paint code from the drivers door jamb to see the original color. This could also make a difference in my book.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

No, it's not an S, that's a common mistake because people read the heater type. In the "type" box you can see 911. The good news is that 300430 is an early 65, made very early in the production year, and there has been a good deal of collector interest in early 1965s. The bad news is you don't have the original engine, and the car clearly has both serious rust and originality issues that make restoring it a VERY expensive proposition.

That's a good looking early dash, note the small bezel for the ignition key. The very early dashes did not have aluminum on the top and bottom and a different bolster. Bob Fleming, can you help us with the dash, it looks 232 to me? Also no "911" script on the dash.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

member #1515
    That rust look s bad, I think it's worth at most 3-4 grand. If your willing to put a bare minimum of 30 grand

Thanks for everyone's inputs so far! It looks like I've come to the right place. I've previously had a '79 SC, so I know generally what to look for in 911's, but I don't know the early ones too well. I currently drive a Cayman S and I've had several 944 turbos.

Paint code and other pics.