Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mfi question-

mfi question-

It seems the Internal Screw Driver bit that engages the idle adjustment is 1/4 inch away from spring loaded screw that adjusts it? my idle is running lean but cannot access this adjustment because somhow it got 1/4 inch futher inside than its supoossed to? was wondering if MFI pump is taken off if this internal screw can be accessed from another point?

I do not want to have to ship out MFI?

I have a outstanding mechanic he said in 40 years he has never run into this- Ed Mayo found this issue with my car yesterday!

Frank,

It's not usually the idle adjustment screw that gets messed up, it's the main rack screw. Keep trying, you will get it. You have to be using the right factory tool, you have to have the fan turned just so in order to allow the shaft of the tool not to bend on the fan blades as you shove it through the hole in the shroud, and you have to push HARD and turn to get the internal screwdriver bit to engage the idle adjustment. Remember "I Lean Left" or Idle mixture, turn counterclockwise to lean, clockwise for rich. The main rack is the other way round.

Sure, you can go to Pelican and search for "MFI open heart surgery" and see how you can drain the pump oil and remove the front cover, exposing the screws, so you can inspect them. I would probably remove the pump rather than trying to do that on the car.

Just for grins, have you run through CMA before fiddling with the idle adjustment? Did you set the part load first? Remember that the order is Part Load first, then fine tune the idle. Are you using an Innovate LM-1 or other wideband analyzer in the exhaust to guide you? I'm happy to help diagnose any issues you may have.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Hey John - Is it possible to call you for 5 min ?

Thankyou!!!

Either go thru CMA from the start.......... or just take it to Ed. He works magic.

I GOT IT TO ED!!! HE IS WORKING ON It?

It seems the spring loaded inside screw is turned 1/4 " too much in. No idea how it could have gottenthat way!

Anybody ever heard of this issue???

I am grateful for your input

Frank, I didn't get your messages last night, it sounds like you have it in the hands of a pro.

Here is the link to the PP thread- you can see clearly the screw you are talking about. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...n+heart&page=2

If you use a syringe or vacuum pump (like the ones used to change engine oil) to suction all the oil out of the MFI pump, you should be able to remove the governor cover without taking the pump off the engine, to see what's happening with the screw.

Best,

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Mfi

John...

Maybe you can assist me...I am experiencing 'back fire' issues after gearing down, and below, let's say 2,000RPM. Dave Conklin suggested a transducer rebuild, which was done. The issue is still there. I'm running an MSD box also. My tech guy at Air Cooled Classics believes that there is an electrical information isssue to the transducer. Any thoughts of your own?

Vic

Frank

John's post is right on target. The same thing happened to me. get the oil out, open the cover,and turn the screw. I had to remove the the thermostat and the solenoid to get to my cover. I also used an Offset screwdriver that I got at ace hardware to get to some of the screws out. To get to the idle adjust screw, I used a flat head screw driver bit held by a set of small vice grips. You can get to the screw through the fan shroud, but you will need something with substance. The screw is initially hard to turn CCW, but get easier once it gets into its proper location.

Once you get it backed out enough, the cover can be reinstalled, and the normal mechanism of enriching the idle works. Your very rich right now. This will only effect your idle mixture below 2000 rpms.
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

Frank,

Saw your car today...... BOY that is nice, a keeper for sure.