Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWB hood restoration: correct inside sound deadening material/paint?

Anthony West #1079

SWB hood restoration: correct inside sound deadening material/paint?

Dear list,

Had a little accident two weeks ago with my 67 911S, where the bumper and the hood got a little messed up, but that is all and not bad, body otherwise is fine.

The local body/paint shop that does good work has ordered a new bumper and hood as both were not particularly nice in the first place and it would cost more to reshape the original than install original replacements.

My question: Brett Johnson's book mentions that the inside of the front hood of SWB cars, i.e. the inner surface, inside the structural framework had sand paper rough asphalt material for sound deadening purposes. Can anyone please tell me more about this and where I might be able to get the right stuff? And should the underneath just be painted body colour and then this material then stuck on? My old hood was just painted on the inside and there was/is no material present, but I assume this was not correct - was redone once before in a incorrect manner.

Thanks!

Anthony

3M paintable rocker coat (don't have part # handy) should provide a fairly correct texture when properly applied---your collision shop will know--they use the stuff everyday......................

.....apply first, then paint body color...............................

..I see you are in Europe----Glasurit has an equivalent product............

Final comment(!) ----- The textured area is only the flat "center"...don't apply on the inner structure. I looked at my hood and I can tell you, the 3M product would offer a perfect texture. I owned a collision shop for many years. We used the complete Glasurit line, but we always preferred the 3M rocker coat product. I went out to my garage: 3M Rocker Schutz, part 08874 It needs a special applicator, but the gun says "3M made in Germany", so I imagine it's easy to find there. Hope that helps.........

Does the 3M product provide a "sandpaper" like finish or is it more like the Wurth shutz? I have an early hood and the finish is like sandpaper maybe 100 grit.

My early '67 has the nubbly texture. I read that the sandpaper texture was on the Porsche built cars (non-Karmann) only, so the product I am describing would not work for the fine texture. There are products on the market that provide sandpaper- like non-skid surfaces for architectural applications, but I do not know about their specific properties.

Wurth make a stone guard in a spray can that sounds like it might give you the required finish/texture.

I shot some on my 69, but wasn't happy with the finish so went for the SKS which looks much more like the origional (larger blobs), if that makes sense.

Tony

Anthony,

Have the body shop reshape the original hood if you can.

Barring that, have them use the original as a reference for shooting Wurth SKS from the professional gun. It will take several tries to get the pattern correct, but the volume, pressure and spray pattern can all be altered to resemble the original.

Good luck! This is not easy, it takes patience and experience.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Anthony West #1079
    Thanks guys for your help!

We cannot work with the old hood as a reference as it has been repainted, probably several times and the rough texture on the underside is no longer sand paper like and not only on the inner area - so clearly wrong.

I think we will manage with your great instructions.

Thanks again!

Anthony