Thread: S/T or R center fuel filler cap

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar

S/T or R center fuel filler cap

If you have a Blau or similar center filler cap, what is the mounting angle (in degrees) of your car's filler neck where it meets the hood/bonnet?

Does anyone have measurements on a race/rallye filler neck? No sense in re-inventing the wheel. I'm looking to modify a standard SWB fuel tank with an R-type neck that comes through the front hood. I'll be using an Enots 3.5" filler with a surrounding "bowl" to catch overflow and vent it.

Sincere thanks in advance for any advice or measurements you might provide.

Best Regards,
    Andy
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

Andy,

it's not a matter of re-inventing the wheel, it's a matter of different owners / builders using different tanks and different locations for the hole for the filler pipe. That pretty much makes each and every through-the-hood filler installation a one-off, custom project. There simply is no one-angle-fits-all formula. Sorry !

I don't think anyone on this board wants to with-hold information, but you really need to lay this out for yourself using your car, mark your hood, your tank, and more importantly,...you need to have all the components you'll require in hand before you start.

Note: I suggest you'll be better off with a later, large capacity fuel tank designed for a space-saver spare. It offers a larger flat area for the mounting of a large enough filler pipe. A lot easier to work on.

Of course another solution is to order one of TRE's ready-to-install tanks and be done with it. Then the only thing you have to do is the opening in the hood.

Best of luck

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Hey Andy,
    Johns right its a lot easier to buy one from TRE. Its very nice, powder coated, great welds, you can also have it made with a locking inner cap for security and safety. You can take a look at mine, its at Karrosserie.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rob Abbott

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar
    Thanks, guys. You're right of course, good advice. I'll call TRE and inquire.

Rob, I may drop by Karosserie and see your tank, thanks for the heads up!

Best Regards,
    Andy
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"