Thread: 911 R/ST/RSR exhaust

911 R/ST/RSR exhaust

I really like the look of R/ST/RSR exhaust (made by Dansk), I was wondering if anybody is running this set up on their car? Its basicly straight trough with some (minimal) baffling inside pipes. Does it offer any "muffling" whatsoever so is it usable on street? I know it will be loud but I'm used to stupidly loud exhaust, but straight pipes would be bit over the top even on R-replica.

This is the one I'm talking about:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    - Ville -

1967 911 Slate Grey/red, fully restored + 66' "r-ish" hotrod project

I had a 914-6GT replica built and considered the muffler in your picture. As my car was going to be used for mainly street use I thought that muffler might be a little too extreme.

I found this muffler built by a guy in Germany and was on German eBay a number of years ago...haven't seen one for a while. It was still pretty loud with the back 2 caps on and coming out the side outlet. When you switched over to cap the side and run it out the back 2 it was stupid loud, but, cool.

For my money this was a pretty nice alternative and looked all the business. I have since found there is a guy in Wisconsin who posts over on Pelican(not sure if he is here) that is pretty qualified at taking a stock muffler and turning it into some quality work like this.

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for info!
    Muffler I posterd is made by Dansk, and unfortunately I only want similar looking, not with 3 pipes. (as its for 911R replica)
    One alternateve of course is M&K 911R muffler although it doesn't exactly look correct but at least pipes are coming out similarly as in this exhaust.
    - Ville -

loud exhaust

run a gt on the street with with the race gt exhaust, it is loud and a cap off system will give you the choice to go either way as it does get tireing after a long drive. people will also notice when you punch it as the motor comes to life

I currently have Megaphones on my GT, without a damper, just original 914-6 heat exchangers attached to it.

I have heard this running on a 2.8 short stroke in a 911 - the owner pulled it because it was WAY too loud for the street.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thanks guys!!
    Luckily I have plenty of time to decide exhaust as my car is just only going to my Celette to get most panels changed.
    I was just making order for panels from Germany so I though I might add that to order. But its so easy to order it later on so I think I'll still consider (and dream) what will be the best exhaust. I think M&K will be number 2 choise.
    - Ville -

If you've ever seen an original R/ST muffler then it is quite apparent that it was nothing BUT window dressing for rules.
    There is little in the way of noise abatement in that muffler (none).
    There is some peforation of the pipes passing through but again just a ruse to pass regulations. It is L O U D.

What were really loud were the racing Mazda rotaries before they made them use mufflers sometime around early mid-80's. That was THE most painfully loud sports car I've ever heard. It was absolutely miserable to be in the pits when they were tuning in the garage area.

You had a choice of headphones, ear plugs or deafness.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

M&Ks G5 911R style 2in2 out is pretty awesome, its not too too loud but its not to quiet either. I was running the MK R style on my 73 absolutely loved it and anyone that heard it loved it as well, not to mention only 14 lbs.
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438

hoy the Mazdas are still pretty piercing. taking my 4yr old to the Rolex race at NJMP this Sunday and will be bringing the earmuffs for him because of the Mazdas.

got to hear a 914 (6 i'm guessing, don't know) w/ megaphones at Hershey last weekend and it was, as my cousin would say, the tits.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!