Thread: sorry, posted in general before... back popping thru carbs?

sorry, posted in general before... back popping thru carbs?

hi all,

I'm a mechanic based in Ibiza, Spain and I have a new customer with a 1970 (or possibly 69) 911L targa (beautiful piece of kit). The initial problem it came to me for was that it had been massively overfilled with oil as a result of him checking the level without starting the engine after a long layup. I've corrected the oil level and changed the plugs and she's driving fine now, but when revved to around 3k at standstill it is popping back through the carbs, occasionally flaming, on all cylinders not just one or two. Initially i was thinking sticky valves, overtight clearances or something but the fact it's on all cylinders seems to indicate otherwise.

condensor? timing? characteristic of the car? (it does drive fine)

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

many thanks
    Owain

member #1515
    could the timing chain have jumped a tooth?

sorry, posted in general before... back popping thru

Usually that would indicate a lean mixture, start by checking fuel volume and pressure, then float levels. You may also have the mixture screws set too lean, back them all out an additional turn and see if that makes any difference at all. This is all assuming of course that the timing is set correctly.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Bad gas?
    The fuel we have here in the US is not good after about 45 days.
    I'm sure you've considered this but also consider the carbs might not be clean either if as you said "it sat up for a while".
    I just finished rebuilding 2 Dellortos due to a lay up with bad gas. (my fault!) All the jets had to be cleaned as did the carb bodies to clear the internal ports.

Anybody else bought carb cleaner (in the bucket) lately? $$$$$$

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111