Thread: what do you need to change a sportomatic to 5 speed ?

what do you need to change a sportomatic to 5 speed ?

My friend has a 68T with a sportamatic thats been sitting for 20 years,

He thinks that the Sportamatic is worth less than the 5 speed,

So what is needed to change it

or is it really worth it to switch it over ?

Dave

I think the days of the Sportomatic being less desirable are behind us, it makes your friends car unique, as well as correct. I think changing it would not increase its value, may even decrease its value to some future buyers.
    Rob Abbott

If you must do it, I believe you'll just need a manual trans pedal cluster, a 901 tranny and shifter, clutch cable, and some other bits I'm sure. You can also switch the oil temp/pressure gauge to a non-sporto one, or just leave it alone. (The sporto gauge had a light in it that was specific to high oil temperature, and did not have any numbers in it.) You should already have the fuel level/oil tank level gauge on the far left, which you can keep. Nice thing about the Sportos is that they have that oil level sender setup already from the factory in the tank, like the L or S models. You should be able to get the parts easily, especially if you can find a manual trans parts car. You'll also need to remove that big vacuum tank in the rear of the engine compartment, and there are probably other lines and wiring you can eliminate or tie off in some way. (Like the wires to the shifter, for instance, that would cause the clutch to disengage when you touched it.)

I would echo the others, though- having a working sportomatic would certainly be interesting to keep, although I believe parts are much harder to come by for them than the manuals. I'm no mechanical superstar here, but I did own a '68T Sporto that had been converted to a 901 box back in the '80, and nothing appeared to be "modified" other than the parts themselves being installed like the factory manual cars.
    1968 Porsche 911 #11830133 (2009- 2012)
    1968 Porsche 911T #11820522 (1997-2007)
    Registry Member #1536
    Hagerty Insurance Guy

Missing my Porsche. Need to find another SWB project!

Current cars:
    1918 Willys-Overland Model 90BT
    1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a
    1977 Chevrolet Suburban C20 "Trailering Special"
    1983 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
    1992 RHD Toyota Century

I have a 901, pedal assembly and shift assembly I just removed from a 67 that I will be selling soon. But I'm like the other guys in the forum. Keep the Sporto. They perform almost as good as a manual, much easier in traffic and unusual to find in the early cars.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Hi....

thanks for your ideas,

If he keeps the Sporto , what would you need to do to it since it sat 20 plus years ?

change the fluid I know , but do they normally leak after sitting so long ?

Thanks

Dave

I think you'll find that you need to change the plumbing from the vac tank (located on the right hand side of the fire wall) to the torque converter, to ensure you have no leaks.

There is a seal on the torque converter but i would leave it alone and see if you have any leaks, as i think you might have problems finding one.

Running off the left hand cam is an oil pump with two or three lines, that will need attention, as they seem to leak a fair bit.

There are also two lines (I think) running from the bottom of the oil tank that you'll have to get made i think (NLA) keep your end fittings and make new lines.

There is also a line running from the left hand intake manifolds under the carbs, that can leak effecting your vac.

Hope that helps?

Tony

yes that helps ,

so other than the torque converter seal there should be no problems with seals going bad ?

To me the worse thing changing to a 5 speed is the cost of Flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate ,
    the pedals , linkage , shifter can be found used ,

Ohh are the sporto axles the same lenght as the 5 speed ones ?

Thanks again

Dave

Yes standard Lobro (spelling) from 68? onwards

If your friend is in the South Bay, have him talk with Rob at Dutch Treat in Lawndale. He knows his way around Sportos and is also good at reviving long-sitting 911s.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute