Thread: Did my car come with velour or perlon carpet?

Did my car come with velour or perlon carpet?

I have the following info for my 71 coupe:

the car was delivered to Philadelphia 01.Sep.``71 / Color 1818=albertblue / Interior 31=leatherette beige,middle of seats basketweave / Options 470=Comfortequipment , 490=manual antenna left,shielding , 559=cooling system , 976=chrome wheels steel 5,5x15

Based on the option code 470=Comfortequipment and Interior 31=leatherette beige, I am guessing that the car came with S trim and beige/tan velour carpet. However, I believe that perlon carpet was standard in the T and E cars, and that beige/tan perlon was available, as well as the more familiar gray perlon that is typically in the trunk.

Does anyone have a list of these older option codes, which would help to figure this out? Did the interior code dictate the color of all of the trim, or just the seats? By the way, I am reasonably sure that 559 is air conditioning, because the car had factory air.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom,
    in 1971 Pile/Velours rug was standard with 911E and 911S, also with 911T when ordered with apperance group.
    Perlon was standard on all other types.

Interior codes 11-88 would generally detail 5 specific points.
    Code 31 would mean:
    -Interior: Leatherette Trim
    -Seat color: Beige
    -Seat materiel: Leatherette
    -Inlays color: Beige
    -Inlays design: Leatherette Basketweave

71 Upholstery samples, beige/tan

71 Upholstery list, beige/tan
    (Your code 31 is listed 7th from below)
    Registry member No.773

Karim; that pile/velour looks different in texture than the 72/73 velour i have seen in cars and pictures. The 72/73 velour looks stiffer and straighter in the cloth strands/hairs, as an example look at the salt and pepper velour. Could you comment on this and/or do you have a sample of the 72/73 velour? Maybe just the lighting?

The sample is from my 73S original carpet and new carpet from Tony.

best
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Karim,

Thank you for this very helpful research.

This comes tantalizingly close to an answer, but ...

Is my option code 470=Comfortequipment the same as the "appearance group?" Also, can you tell from the picture that you posted whether the interior code includes carpet? I have a complete set of sample books, but they are the type for the dealer parts departments, so the codes are for parts orders, not for ordering complete cars. The codes are three digit numbers. Beige leatherette with basket weave is "Color=560." Carpet is 401 for a somewhat darker brown velour or perlon.

John, when I can get my sample book near a scanner, I will try to make a good copy of my charcoal velour sample.

The cause of my question is that I have a complete, original tan perlon carpet set taken out of a 1973 coupe, and I am wondering whether it is the right thing for my 71 coupe, which has charcoal velour (looks to be a mix of factory and replacement), now.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    Tom,
    in 1971 Pile/Velours rug was standard with 911E and 911S, also with 911T when ordered with apperance group.
    Perlon was standard on all other types.

Interior codes 11-88 would generally detail 5 specific points.
    Code 31 would mean:
    -Interior: Leatherette Trim
    -Seat color: Beige
    -Seat materiel: Leatherette
    -Inlays color: Beige
    -Inlays design: Leatherette Basketweave

71 Upholstery samples, beige/tan

71 Upholstery list, beige/tan
    (Your code 31 is listed 7th from below)
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F. View Post
    Also, can you tell from the picture that you posted whether the interior code includes carpet? Tom
    Tom, on the dealer upholstery book a two-digit interior code 31 is written next to the list.
    Carpets are listed either in Black/brown/beige section and defined trough above two-digit interior codes 11-88.
    They might differ to the three-digit client/Kardex/CoA option code.
    I only now realise you need an 72/73 info. For carpet, I beleive it was still similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Zithlord View Post
    Could you comment on this and/or do you have a sample of the 72/73 velour? Maybe just the lighting John
    John, this samples are coming from my original 71 upholstery sample book.
    I am aware that they are slightly different then carpets mounted in cars but I assume thats because they are unused.
    The pile/velours does have a longer cut but otherwise is similar to your pic.
    Here is Black pile/velous and perlon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F. View Post
    Is my option code 470=Comfort equipment the same as the "appearance group?"
    Tom
    I believe yes.
    Registry member No.773