Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rear sway bar install

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    Are the body brackets available for 68 SWB cars? If so from who? My car has the studs in the bananas, does that mean that someone has replaced them at some point in it's life or could the car have come that way from the factory?
    The car in the photos is my '68 911. The brackets are available from Stoddard's here at $34.64 each.
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461

Ed - good write up with pics. I was just about to email you to find out where to get the parts to do this retrofit. I went to Stoddards and added up all the factory pieces and it comes to about $600. Man what a bummer.
    Robert Williams
    911T
    Member #1611

Quote Originally Posted by 72tii View Post
    The car in the photos is my '68 911. The brackets are available from Stoddard's here at $34.64 each.
    Thanks for the link. Those really do look flimsy in the picture. It would be easy enough to box them, but then I guess they would not be factory looking. From what I have read, given my car is only a 912 and not a track car, the chances of them being ripped out at pretty low though. Does anyone have an old bar with links they want to sell?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

rear sway bar install

Bob, you should be able to find most of the parts used, but of course you will have to buy new the pieces that are welded.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed/all,

I'm in the process of finding all the bits to do this as well as to install a front 15mm bar on my '70. Most are used but bushings are new from Stoddard. Can you tell me what the correct size bolts are for mounting the bracket to the console, as well as for attaching the the front droplinks to the U-tab on the control arms? I think they're both M8s but not sure about length and necessary washers.

Thanks,
    Ed
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

rear sway bar install

The bolts are all 8 x 1.25, the length for the rear console is about 1/2" I think. The bolt end should protrude out from the captive nut slightly. Use split type lock washers. The bolts for the front drop links are longer, maybe an inch? You'll know the length is right if the bolt goes thru the link and has enough length protruding to install a split lock washer and nut, with only a few threads protruding beyond the nut. I really don't try to memorize lengths, but have the advantage of a very complete hardware supply, so I just walk over to the bins and get what I need.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Should've listened to Ed M.

In gathering my bits I went ahead and ordered a pair of Wevo RARB consoles. I know Ed and others have said they're overkill for a standard 15mm rear bar, but I was thinking it might be a good idea and use them in the event I ever decide to upgrade to larger bars.

That said, I see now that the Wevo RARB's bolt holes are spaced too far apart for the factory bar mounting brackets. (Photo to follow) Good thing I checked before starting the process. Now I need to go back and order a pair of factory brackets, then either return the Wevo brackets or sell them to someone who can actually use them.
    ESR #1474

rear sway bar install

I don't remember what the exact spacing difference is, but I think you could use the Wevo's by slot grinding the bolt holes to match up. I think it's only an 1/8" or so per hole.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Racers' Group Rear Bar installation with Stock Mounts

Photos attached. This is with the "B" bar installed. I had an "A" bar originally and tore sheetmetal in the chassis which had to be reinforced and re-welded after 4 years. Since the "B" is a larger bar (which I run at a relatively softer setting) I remain concerned. If the mounts tear out again, I'll go to the Wevo Mounts. Hayden's stuff is really great (you can see his transmission crossmember in the background of one of the pictures).

johnt
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by teenchy View Post
    I see now that the Wevo RARB's bolt holes are spaced too far apart for the factory bar mounting brackets. (Photo to follow) Good thing I checked before starting the process. Now I need to go back and order a pair of factory brackets, then either return the Wevo brackets or sell them to someone who can actually use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I don't remember what the exact spacing difference is, but I think you could use the Wevo's by slot grinding the bolt holes to match up. I think it's only an 1/8" or so per hole.
    Stupid me, I missed the part where Wevo says to use >'78 brackets/clamps!

http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...RBConsoles.htm

Quote Originally Posted by the folks at Wevo
    For 1978 the factory increased the bolt spacing of the sway bar bracket and mounting clamps. The 1978 and later dimension is 66mm hole center to hole center. The WEVO RARB Consoles are designed to replace the '78 and later components. Many pre '78 cars have already been upgraded to the '78 and later factory parts, so check the hole spacing on your car. If your hole spacing is less than 66mm, you will also require new clamps and rubber bushings to mount your rear sway bar. The part number for the '78 and later clamp is 113.411.333 and these are available for purchase below.
    ESR #1474